Author Topic: Chicken Rogan Josh  (Read 31186 times)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Rogan Josh
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:13 PM »
Chicken Rogan Josh
Serves 2 small portions or 1 large

Ingredients
140grms pre cooked chicken
300 ml base gravy (I use 3 ladles)
75 ml oil

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Rogan Josh
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Now that is one nice looking curry. Great photo.  :D

Will add this to the never-ending list of recipes to try. Thanks for posting.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Just tried this recipe.  :)

Came out really tasty, although I increased the simmering time at the end to about 5 minutes (before adding the koriander and joghurt). The colour wasn't as red as in your photo, but maybe that's to do with your flash.

Anyway, thanks for the recipe!

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Looks great - Rogan Josh is not on my usual list of recipes but this is one I will try.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:33 AM »
Just tried this recipe.  :)

Came out really tasty, although I increased the simmering time at the end to about 5 minutes (before adding the koriander and joghurt). The colour wasn't as red as in your photo, but maybe that's to do with your flash.

Anyway, thanks for the recipe!

Hope my friend its to do with the red chilli powder, we make our own, so it does vary from time to time from red to brownish

best regards, Rich

Offline samadras

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 11:04 PM »
Made this for the tonight for the second time with about half the spices missing - still delicious!

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:59 AM »
After last week's unexpected, unwelcome, but unmitigated disaster with a simple Madras, I thought I would stray from the tried and trusted and go for a curry I hadn't made before.

After a trawl of the Main Dishes board, I settled for loveitspicy's Chicken Rogan Josh. It had somehow fallen under my recipe radar.

It was good - I mean, it was really good! Very flavoursome and it cooked like a dream, taking no effort at all to reduce to a bhuna consistency.

I was cooking for 3 adults, so I had to mess around with the ingredient quantities a little (but not too much!). In fact, I reckon that the increased ingredient amounts would have done nicely for 2 hungry people using only 2 portions of pre-cooked chicken instead of the 1kg I used.

The major difference to the cooked recipe compared to Rich's written version was the absence of fennel powder. I had none, and I couldn't be bothered grinding such a small quantity, so I added 1.5 tsp of fennel seeds at the initial stage and then continued with the recipe once the seeds began to pop in the hot oil.

I wasn't quite sure how to interpret the "little" amount of sliced onion and chopped tomato so I used half a medium onion and, although I chopped 2 fairly large tomatoes, I only used about 3 tbsp. Also, I didn't include the optional yoghurt as the curry looked and tasted just right when it was done.

I would definitely recommend Rich's recipe to anyone looking for a new dish to try. You won't be disappointed! :)

Click here for photos of the finished dish.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 11:00 AM »
Great looking curry Naga, never looked at that recipe, but that said I am more than happy with the recipe I use already.
Thanks for sharing though, will take a look, maybe take some pointers to use in my own

Offline bolinao

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 02:59 AM »
I have made this a few time but have tweeked it slightly and the result is excellent, as good as any curry I have tasted in a restaurant.  8)

I use lamb instead of chicken and  for the base gravy I use 350ml of Saffron base gravy.

At the start of the cooking process I add about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil let it heat up, then add 3 or 4 crushed green cardamon pods and 3 or 4 pieces of cloves, let them cook for about 40 seconds, until you can smell the spices, then add the onions, cook them for about 15 minutes until slightly brown. Add about 1 ladle of base gravy and the garlic/ginger paste. I don't add the salt and sugar until everything else is in.

The rest of the recipe and process is the same as whats in the original post.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 08:15 AM »
I'm sure the addition of green cardamons and cloves will give the curry another dimension. Interestingly, my goto Rogan Josh recipe by Razor (here) includes both spices and it, too, is absolutely delicious.

©2024 Curry Recipes