Author Topic: Chalis Hot & Mild Curry Oils  (Read 21278 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chalis Hot & Mild Curry Oils
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 08:10 PM »
If you want to make spiced oil as an experiment here is my tuppence worth:

1) Don't add any water, just use oil and curry veg and spices e.g. onions, peppers, garlic and spices. Don't add tomatoes.

2) If you use a large amount of chopped onions and keep it on a rolling gentle boil the oil won't go above about 105 degrees (due to water in onions/veg). I tried this myself with 2 litres of oil and after about 1 hour it was time to stop as the onions had lost most of their moisture. The spices did not burn as the oil temp was controlled by the veg water content evaporating.

3) I simply used a strainer to remove the onions/peppers etc. Some cooked spices (grits) sunk to the bottom of the pan but the spiced oil was coloured and clear.

I found the oil was fine for a week in the fridge and I used to freeze it and defrost before use for the oil I had stored.
The oil didn't go rancid but it was a reasonable quality oil. (rice bran)

I would suggest looking at the spice content of onion bhajis and maybe basing it on that.

The big problem is deciding what spices and how much to add. If we could get this right we would have a good spiced oil recipe.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 09:44 PM »

I had half an idea to try a batch of Curry2go Chorley's base sauce but that calls for 500ml of spiced oil (plus more to make the curries) so I'm a bit sunk. Last time I tried making my own spiced oil it didn't last long and I suspect I didn't filter it well enough as it went a bit rancid even refrigerated, hence I'm keen to buy the Chalice stuff.

If i am correct Curry2go uses oil from making his bhaji's so just make a batch of onion bhajis and freeze them, then use the oil as per recipe suggests.

As for curry oil try this http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/curry-oil

used this in a few curries and it's quite nice adds that little extra, i have used this oil in making balti's so far so cant comment on any other recipe/dish.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Thanks for the link to the curry oil recipe UF. That looks surprisingly simple and a lot more cost effective than the chalice oil at

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 07:23 AM »

Oh dear.  I have to say, I was very surprised when they refused point blank to allow me to say "no substitutions" on my order, although they did say they would consider it for a future option.  But when I order Entremont Speciality Terroirs Du Comte  200g and they substitute Ferrari Pecorino Romano  200g  instead of Marcel Petite's Comte Waitrose  Typical weight: 218g, it does make you wonder whether they have an automaton in charge of the substitution process rather than an intelligent human being ...

** Phil.

I would've sent you dairylea triangles  :P

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 07:48 AM »

Oh dear.  I have to say, I was very surprised when they refused point blank to allow me to say "no substitutions" on my order, although they did say they would consider it for a future option.  But when I order Entremont Speciality Terroirs Du Comte  200g and they substitute Ferrari Pecorino Romano  200g  instead of Marcel Petite's Comte Waitrose  Typical weight: 218g, it does make you wonder whether they have an automaton in charge of the substitution process rather than an intelligent human being ...

** Phil.

LOLOL  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 01:12 PM »
Now if you'd said Primula, I might have judged you a man of taste !

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Now if you'd said Primula, I might have judged you a man of taste !

I would have said, "The Laughing Cow!!"  ;D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Just let you know, the chalice spiced oils are on offer at Asda right now, 2 for

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Just let you know, the chalice spiced oils are on offer at Asda right now, 2 for

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 11:15 AM »

©2024 Curry Recipes