Author Topic: Hello from across the pond  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Slugweezer

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Hello from across the pond
« on: October 20, 2011, 02:31 AM »
Hi,

I'm an American curry enthusiast, and stumbled on to this excellent forum when I started to take a different approach to, and rethink my own curry making, which had been predominantly based on tedious and time consuming home style methods. 

Allthough I'm unfamiliar with the flavors of true BIR, or Takeaway (the closest we have here are Mobilized "Roach Coaches") I have many restaurant flavors I too wish to re-create.  I have been messing with base sauces alot lately, as well as some some of the classic staple dishes you typically find in restuarants here, and hope to learn much, as well as contribute to this forum.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from across the pond
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Hi Slugweezer, welcome to the forum and whereabouts are you from?

I visit the USA quite regularly and have eaten in many Indian establishments in both Illinios and Florida. Last time I was there I went for an Indian cookery classs in St. Petersberg at the Green Chilli, but I find most american Indian restaurants to be more "Traditional home style cooking rather than BIR"

You'll certainly find everything you need on here and if I can be of any help just write to me :)

Offline Slugweezer

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 10:03 PM »
Thank you very much for the offer 976bar! I Live in Boston.  A lot of the Indian eateries tend to vary a bit around here with both their cooking styles, and the expected standard dishes.  Some use the more "refined" looking style that not knowing any better I would probably associate with BIR/Takeaway, and others "try" to fake a more home cooked, or regional look by frying up what looks like a fast Punjab Masala before adding the base to give it a more coarser appearance.

I have lots to learn, thats for sure.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Hi Slugweezer, welcome to the forum

Paul

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Hi There welcome

Making curries can seem tedious and time consuming - pre-cooking everything! but the final cook off in a few minuets makes it all worth it!!!!!! and if you are like me i love to taste test.

best, Rich

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Hello Slugweezer......you've come to the right place here :)

Rich - a 'spot-on' comment!  Totally with you on this one.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:21 PM »
You've just joined the biggest BIR school on the net ;D.  Happy learning and welcome.  For once you'll enjoy your homework 8)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:45 AM »
Hi
You say Boston, which city?  Trying to get back to Malden for thanksgiving.
Regards

©2024 Curry Recipes