Author Topic: (Masala) dosa maker  (Read 2616 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
(Masala) dosa maker
« on: October 24, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Tempted (as I always am) by the 3-year warranty on Lidl own-brand electrical goods [1], I went out yesterday and bought one of these.  It has a super-size removable Teflon-coated, shallow, gently curved, pan, and looks as if it might be close to perfect for making dosai.  Now all I have to do is to soak my pre-boiled rice and Melam Dosa Podi for ten hours, then I'll be ready to start testing !

** Phil.
--------
[1] Don't forget to stick the receipt to the box : no receipt, no warranty.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: (Masala) dosa maker
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Made the batter yesterday, tried the dosa maker today : result -- complete success.  Far better than any previous attempt at dosa, so if you are a Southern Indian fan, get out to Lidl and snap up one of these before they all go !  The usable diameter of the round flat cooking bed is over 13", far bigger than the base of most frying pans, so ideal for dosa (or indeed for crepes, for which it is really intended).

** Phil (who does /not/ have shares in Lidl !).

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:01 PM »
...snip

** Phil (who does /not/ have shares in Lidl !).

You sure? - between yourself and George - Lidl gets quite a lot of bargain-pimping on this site ;)  ;D

Glad it was a success for you!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 02:10 PM »
Well, just to put things in perspective, there is no way I will ever buy an "Bally Manor Free Range Chicken" from Lidl again, having had one literally fall to pieces while I was cooking it.  There is a real problem with "Irish" product labelling, in that I believe it is legitimate for a hen to be labelled as "Irish" if it has (for example) been reared in Poland but passes through an Irish consortium on its way to its final destination.  The "Bord Bia" scheme was set up to overcome this problem, amongst others.  Can't remember the exact details of this, but when a hen disintegrates while being cooked it certainly triggers alarm bells in my mind.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:24 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

©2024 Curry Recipes