Author Topic: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu  (Read 79625 times)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Staff curry from start by Ifindforu
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:06 PM »
You all know that staff in the indian take away or restaurant eat different curry than comercial curry but is still damn good so ive decided to share what ive seen with you
Ok here is the mix
2 spoons of chilli powder
8 spoons of donia /corianda
1 spoon of haldi /turmaric
1 spoon of jeera /cummin
in a saucepan put about half a mug of oil,1 piece of cinamon 5 caddamoms,and 2 bay leaves
start frying for about 4 mins stirring making sure no burning.Now ad some chopped onion finely choped about 2 large onions,also add a spoon sull of garlic ginger paste the ratio is 2 times ginger to 1 times garlic,plus some salt
keep stirring for about 6 mins now add 2 deswrt spoon of spice powder 2 fresh tomatoes cut into halves also add your meat.Now let the mix powder fry for about 30 seconds.Now slowly start adding water to bhuna it tjat means slow cook for about 2 hours.to make hotter add a little lemon and some more chili.This mix is nearly always used in bengali homes by the time 2 hours have past the onions   and tomatoes would have melted giving you a nice curry dont forget fresh coriander the last 2 mins. THIS IS STAFF CURRY.hOPE YOU ENJOY
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:06 PM by ifindforu »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Hi Ifindforu,

Good to see you back and thanks for posting this recipe for a "staff curry" (which, it seems to me, is a "traditional" Indian curry?)....

...but, I was anticipating, from your recent posts a (revised) recipe for a BIR curry base PLUS some insight into some "some secret" that you're surprised "nonone has mentioned" (including you, I might add)?:

Quote from: infindforu
things have moved on since then and ive learnt that the method i used was wrong Iwill be posting a new base of which ive learned in my local takeaway in which i work so all will be revealed thanks ifindforu

Quote from: ifindforu
they cook the onions any way.but i will tell you somthing,yes there is a secret on how to make what they call guravy and also the method used im supprised no one has mensioned it on here I speak a little Bengali and there is a certain word they use that word is the seceret to get the guravy taste and no bengalidesh man will explain it to you.I happened to be there one day when they were finishing of the guravy,but just hoping to stop you wasting your time with the different ways with the onions

Is this what you were referring to or are you intending to post something else along the lines of my understanding from your previous comments?

If you are intending to post something else (along the lines of my understanding) I would be really keen to see it!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Now slowly start adding water to bhuna it tjat means cook slowly for about 2 hours

I thought "bhoona", as a process, is to fry powdered spices (or a paste of powdered spices) in oil; not slow cooking them, with lots of other stuff, in water?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:03 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:50 PM »
ifindforu,

been making your tikka pretty much weakly for most of the year - spot on and many thanks.

on the staff curry feel sound real good and must give it a try - love the idea of a 2hr one pot dish.

how much of the mix powder goes in and presume it's added at the 4 min frying stage.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Always good to read posts from Ifindforu,was waiting with baited breath to find his 'secret' though!!!  Hopefully he'll post some more information.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Always good to read posts from Ifindforu,was waiting with baited breath to find his 'secret' though!!!  Hopefully he'll post some more information.

Me too!

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:25 AM »
Now slowly start adding water to bhuna it tjat means cook slowly for about 2 hours

I thought "bhoona", as a process, is to fry powdered spices (or a paste of powdered spices) in oil; not slow cooking them, with lots of other stuff, in water?
bhuna means slow cook water must be added not to burn the spices too much,by the way water is added slowly bit at a time but as you seem to know everything you have nothing to learn off me

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Alas, sad, but possibly true Terry  ;)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:49 PM »
You all know that staff in the indian take away or restaurant eat different curry than comercial curry but is still damn good so ive decided to share what ive seen with you
Ok here is the mix
2 spoons of chilli powder
8 spoons of donia /corianda
1 spoon of haldi /turmaric
1 spoon of jeera /cummin
in a saucepan put about half a mug of oil,1 piece of cinamon 5 caddamoms,and 2 bay leaves
start frying for about 4 mins stirring making sure no burning.Now ad some chopped onion finely choped about 2 large onions,also add a spoon sull of garlic ginger paste the ratio is 2 times ginger to 1 times garlic,plus some salt
keep stirring for about 6 mins now add 2 deswrt spoon of spice powder 2 fresh tomatoes cut into halves also add your meat.Now let the mix powder fry for about 30 seconds.Now slowly start adding water to bhuna it tjat means slow cook for about 2 hours.to make hotter add a little lemon and some more chili.This mix is nearly always used in bengali homes by the time 2 hours have past the onions   and tomatoes would have melted giving you a nice curry dont forget fresh coriander the last 2 mins. THIS IS STAFF CURRY.hOPE YOU ENJOY
sorry forgot to mention cut 2 potatoes up and add at the start when you add the ginger and garlic paste ive been taught by a bengali chef to not peel the ginger ony the gerlic the ratio he taught me was 2 cups ginger to 1 cup garlic.He said always white garlic  use some oil liquidise and freeze use wjen wanted

Offline madeinbeats

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 01:14 AM »
How much is a spoon please, you mean a teaspoon or table spoon? Also, how many people is to serve? Will certainly be trying it if it is good enough for the staff...

©2024 Curry Recipes