Author Topic: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu  (Read 79644 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2012, 06:27 PM »
it's dawned on me that on the last few goes i've foggotten to add fresh (frozen for me) coriander. so recipe needs to add an extra line just as the as spec recipe:

add fresh chopped coriander before serving 15 ml

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2012, 10:45 AM »
i just can't get off this staff curry. the small amount is so tantalising for trying things out that you would not dare in a full base.

been watching the baskets at my local asian store following the curry2go red kashmiri chilli prompt. was interested in who bought what chillies. in short i like the nagga (chewytikka nagga sauce) and the curry2go red kashmiri and i always have stock of the thin green ones (i think equivalent to birds eye or certainly quite hot).

anyhow never tried the sort of squat fat variety having previously tried from supermarkets and not really gelled with. the variety from the asian store are very different and top notch (a tad like green pepper) - adds masses of flavour without the heat of the thin variety.

going to keep them too on stock for putting in base.

in the last make of the staff curry i used 1 off fat squat and 1 off thin - worked a treat.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2012, 11:01 AM »
this staff curry seems to offer real versatility.

on the last batch decided to try and get close to my fav kashmiri curry.

added sliced banana in place of meat on the reheat (i make the curry at least a day before needing and keep in the fridge). i also then tried adding in coconut flour into the pilau rice on reheat of the rice. result very nice and well pleased.

flush with confidence i then added in some carnation evaporated milk - quite a suprise. the dish now clearly on the lines of the kashmiri i know (obviously not BIR - the frying pan lies unloved at the mo and the important bassar was absent). the taste however was very much along the lines of CTM from my local restaurant. the suprise being that the staff curry mix powder although very different to "BIR" sat very. begs questions on the mix powder's use in general terms. i feel i need to try out the staff mix on my next pucker frying night.

on a very picky note to myself for future i think amount of carrot needs to come down. also the amount of oil is a tad too low (3%) even with the high onion proportion and is resulting in some water.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2012, 11:36 AM »
Good to see that you are still investigating and developing this Jerry.  Keep up  the good work ;)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2012, 06:54 PM »
I cooked today using this recipe (the OP in this thread) as inspiration, but not following it to the letter.  I substituted tomato puree for the whole tomatoes and after the initial frying stage I transferred to a slow cooker for 4 hours on low.  The result was great but having used chicken I think I'll try lamb or beef next time as the flavours and long slow cook seem (to me) to better suit a meat with a robust flavour.  In fact I think it would be fab with a cheap cut of beef.  Also I'm not a big fan of the texture of slow cooked chicken.

But as Jerry has said, it's a fine base recipe which will allow for plenty of variations according to what ingredients might be to hand.  I'd like to scale it up to proportions which will suit a whole beef brisket joint as this would make an ideal slow cooker meal which would yield enough portions to keep me happy for nearly a week!  ;D

Offline madeinbeats

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2012, 10:23 PM »
I'm still knocking these out myself. Just tastes so fresh and vibrant... Made it on Sunday with lamb; lamb is the best meat for me in a curry. I also added 2 teaspoons of Patak's chutney (personal choice on which one) for some umami, or tomato ketchup will do the same thing.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2012, 11:08 PM »
I'm still knocking these out myself. Just tastes so fresh and vibrant... Made it on Sunday with lamb; lamb is the best meat for me in a curry. I also added 2 teaspoons of Patak's chutney (personal choice on which one) for some umami, or tomato ketchup will do the same thing.
try a few potatoes in it as you are cooking it all the best

Offline madeinbeats

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2012, 11:50 PM »

Thanks, I always do mate :-)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2012, 11:23 AM »

talking to my boss last night,he said a little lime pickle goes well in the staff curry havnt tried myself though not yet

Offline madeinbeats

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2012, 11:37 AM »

talking to my boss last night,he said a little lime pickle goes well in the staff curry havnt tried myself though not yet

Hey, lol, I'm a chef and I didn't even know it  :P At the moment I'm using brinjal (aubergine) pickle. I like lime pickle too but I think a lot of westerners think you should be cleaning the bathroom sink with it, not eating it :-) So yeah guys, try a bit of pickle in your curries, see what you reckon!!

©2024 Curry Recipes