Author Topic: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu  (Read 79637 times)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 09:25 PM »
sorry was not clear on the blending - i removed the cinnamon and bay leaves and 4 off of the cardamom before blending (ie i left 1 off cardamom in as i like the extra taste it adds when blended in).

i'm aiming to make this again this week and intend to add in some coriander root (std ingredient for base for me).

ps ifindforu - would much appreciate bhuna recipe.
that nice you know what spiceness youre looking forr Jerry will post a bhuna from start shortly one i leant of a bengali woman and boy,dont they know about how to get things spicey keep it JERRY

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 08:31 PM »
made this a 2nd time. it really does fit the bill for midweek curry with no real effort - 10 mins plus the 2hr slow simmer last night then tonight rice (pilau with a splash of coconut flour on serving) and microwave warm the curry and all done in 10 mins. simply brill.

on the 2nd go kept the coriander amount same (45 ml) but changed to root from leaf and added at the tomato stage. felt it made a better balance as opposed to adding at the end.

also reduced cinnamon from the 1/2 stick to 1/3. going forward intend to reduce further to 1/4 stick just to get a better balance with the other spice. for info weighed 2 off sticks at 16g so aiming for 2g.

measured the finished volume this time at 750ml which served 2 off.

ps ifindforu - bhuna sounds very good and would very much like to make.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 08:38 PM »
made this a 2nd time. it really does fit the bill for midweek curry with no real effort - 10 mins plus the 2hr slow simmer last night then tonight rice (pilau with a splash of coconut flour on serving) and microwave warm the curry and all done in 10 mins. simply brill.

on the 2nd go kept the coriander amount same (45 ml) but changed to root from leaf and added at the tomato stage. felt it made a better balance as opposed to adding at the end.

also reduced cinnamon from the 1/2 stick to 1/3. going forward intend to reduce further to 1/4 stick just to get a better balance with the other spice. for info weighed 2 off sticks at 16g so aiming for 2g.

measured the finished volume this time at 750ml which served 2 off.

ps ifindforu - bhuna sounds very good and would very much like to make.

looks very nice JERRY

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 06:10 PM »
ifindforu,

am very happy with the taste and intend adding in some chicken on next go. will blend at 1 hr then add fresh chicken pieces to cook out during the final 2 hr of cooking.

only other slight tweak i have in mind is to add in some veg ghee/margarine. this i do as std for base since learning from the ashoka. the amount is much smaller but goes with the idea of moderation. intend using 5ml (normally use 15ml per 800g onion).

i also intend to make with my normal mix powder (parker 21 mouchak) just out of interest on how the mix powder changes the dish.

well pleased - many thanks for posting - it's filled a need for a curry without all that normal prep.

Offline madeinbeats

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Made this one again tonight... Favourite curry lol. I added 3 dashes of tomato ketchup for some umami. Honestly though guys, there is no need to blend this, I cook mine for 2.5 / 3 hours and the onions & potatoes are totally pulped into a velvety thick sauce.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Hi

Tried this curry last night.  This is definitely a home made style curry which I spent years making trying to find that elusive BIR taste.  It just didn't do it for me.  I will stick to the BIR style curries.

Thanks for posting it anyway as obviously liked by others!

Regards

Barry

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Hi Barry,

I was put off trying this by 2 things:

The 2:1 ginger/garlic ratio. I realise that this is fairly common with some recipes but I don't like too much ginger in my curries. I generally go the other way and use 2:1 garlic/ginger.

Secondly the very high corriander powder to cumin ratio.

I guess you never know until you try and I appreciate that infindforu posted it. I might try it one day and get a pleasant surprise.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 06:24 PM »
In the wrong place...
This whole thread should be moved to the Traditional Indian section, because all BIR staff curries
are classed by the staff as "Handi" curries, which is a Traditional Indian one pot curry.

Abdul Mohed also posted a Staff Shatkora recipe recently, which includes adding base sauce,
this is usually frowned upon by the Boss, as the base sauce is the money maker.

I haven't made this recipe, because I know it already and have cooked many.
But if your using Chicken on the bone, it should be ready in one hour.
A simple Staff Chicken Handi is a wonderful melt in the mouth experience
but not suited to everybody's palate and is eaten at its best, fresh, there and then.
cheers Chewy

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 10:07 AM »
the bhuna experience gave me the push i needed to really push this recipe a little. don't get me wrong the as spec recipe is top notch. my tweaks are purely aimed at fitting my needs - something like BIR but without the effort.

on the rev3 make i essentially followed my gut feeling. so all in cooking approach and some fine tuning.

the recipe is now 100% what i was after and see no further changes other than at some point adding in a "bhuna derived" paste(s) but i'm a long way from that.

ifindforu - many thanks for doing most of the hard work in providing a top notch ball park recipe. i'm well pleased.

recipe rev 3:
cinnamon (see pic ~ 1 off piece of stick broken in half lengthways and no more than 50mm long) something like 2g
cardamom 5 off
bay 2 off

Nb the above removed prior to blending except for 2 off cardamon which were blended in

onion ~370g
oil 30ml
garlic puree 5g
mix powder 10ml (2 off tsp)
tin toms 200g
water 100 ml
salt 5 ml
chopped coriander root 45 ml
veg ghee 5ml

method: all in the pan and simmer v.slow 2hrs with lid on, remove cinnamon, bay and 3 off cardamom, add 50ml  water, blend.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 05:05 PM »
the bhuna experience gave me the push i needed to really push this recipe a little. don't get me wrong the as spec recipe is top notch. my tweaks are purely aimed at fitting my needs - something like BIR but without the effort.

on the rev3 make i essentially followed my gut feeling. so all in cooking approach and some fine tuning.

the recipe is now 100% what i was after and see no further changes other than at some point adding in a "bhuna derived" paste(s) but i'm a long way from that.

ifindforu - many thanks for doing most of the hard work in providing a top notch ball park recipe. i'm well pleased.

recipe rev 3:
cinnamon (see pic ~ 1 off piece of stick broken in half lengthways and no more than 50mm long) something like 2g
cardamom 5 off
bay 2 off

Nb the above removed prior to blending except for 2 off cardamon which were blended in

onion ~370g
oil 30ml
garlic puree 5g
mix powder 10ml (2 off tsp)
tin toms 200g
water 100 ml
salt 5 ml
chopped coriander root 45 ml
veg ghee 5ml

method: all in the pan and simmer v.slow 2hrs with lid on, remove cinnamon, bay and 3 off cardamom, add 50ml  water, blend.

Jerry m i can see you like your curry, well im going to give you an offer you cant refuse,I know the curry secret and its all in their mixed powder,i have learnt how to do this by working in the takeaway,How true is this? well Jerry im awilling to send you some of my mixed powder free of charge if you get in touch ,and then you can tell the forum your experience of  The powder that i would send you is for comercial tasting indian curry bir takeaway you will no longer need to look any futher IFINDFORU

©2024 Curry Recipes