Author Topic: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu  (Read 79636 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Staff curry from start by Ifindforu
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2011, 02:40 PM »
you failed as a moderator, so you're unlikely to think I could do any better.

George,

It's your hyperbolae, superlatives and emotive and negative language and comments, like this, that lead me to firmly believe that you are totally unsuitable as a forum moderator. 

I suggest, for the benefit of all our members, that you stick to only removing spam, as you promised!

Admin (well, thiis forum) needs to get some decent moderators, that are up to the task (as I specified in the referenced thread),....but I don't think that's about to happen any time soon, 'cos Admin really isn't interested (and hasn't been for a looooooooong time).  ::)

'Nuff said on the matter, from my end.... ::)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2011, 02:51 PM »
Admin really isn't interested (and hasn't been for a looooooooong time).  ::)

I suggest it's a bit hypocritical of you to make negative comments about me, as in your last few posts, but then to react unfavourably when I speak a few home truths about you. I should add that I've always considered you one of the leading members of this forum in terms of your contribution, but that's different to having self control as a moderator.

Then you start laying into Stew (admin), when this forum wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for him.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2011, 05:47 PM »
Well, if ever a thread has gone slightly off topic, it most certainly is this one :o

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31 PM »
i received my packet of gold yesterday from ifindforu.

it's in an air tight vac pack sealed bag - very impressive - enough for 2 off or maybe 4 off portions

the colour sits very well for me - it's lighter than the mouchak and quite a bit darker than the staff curry mix.

i want to keep it fresh so not going to taste it until i have base - aiming to make base next weekend.

many thanks to ifindforu - going to be interesting trying to work out how it differs from the mouchak.

ps i was thinking of making 2 off batches of staff curry one with mouchak mix and the other with the sent mix. however feel i'd like to try the curry2go vindaloo so will need to make base and prep.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2011, 11:48 AM »
the new base posted by ifindforu got me thinking about if a few further tweaks might work for the staff curry.

ended up trying the following additions:

carrot 70g
green chilli 1 off (cut up with scissors)
coconut flour 15ml

using tonight with ifindforu tikka.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2011, 04:28 PM »
the additions did not work. there was a taste that i did not like which was out of balance. quite a surprise given i rate all 3. it could be the coconut flour as i've never used it in base before (only used milk and block).

it has focused my mind though - the as spec recipe does not need improvement - it's a very decent curry.

the trouble is that it's given me the idea that i might be able to get closer to the BIR result using the as spec recipe as a starting point. i now realise this will take some time and may not be possible. i also want to try out a few changes relating to base that i've held back on in the past not wanting to spoil a good few litres of otherwise top notchy base. this small quantity (2 persons) makes failures just about ok.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2011, 04:48 PM »
the additions did not work. there was a taste that i did not like which was out of balance. quite a surprise given i rate all 3. it could be the coconut flour as i've never used it in base before (only used milk and block).

it has focused my mind though - the as spec recipe does not need improvement - it's a very decent curry.

the trouble is that it's given me the idea that i might be able to get closer to the BIR result using the as spec recipe as a starting point. i now realise this will take some time and may not be possible. i also want to try out a few changes relating to base that i've held back on in the past not wanting to spoil a good few litres of otherwise top notchy base. this small quantity (2 persons) makes failures just about ok.
[/quote
Jery M I think me and you think aike when it comes to spice I have come across a very nice and easy way for chicken tikka using only 3 ingredients superb taste cooked by my bengali friends wife. and these people know how to cook  get in touch TERRY

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2011, 04:22 PM »
ifindforu,

we certainly do. there is no way that your recipe for tikka can be bettered for me and the family - it's a weakly treat. the trio of mint, green chilli and coriander are a delight.

i'm always eager to learn more and would certainly give the bangali recipe ago.

what the above idea was in a nutshell is to have a few variants of the staff curry. obviously going making it as is most of the time but now and then maybe a CTM variant or something like - for a Saturday tea as opposed to midweek.

best wishes.

link to ifindforu tikka http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4968.msg48047#msg48047

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2011, 12:18 PM »
tried this with ifindforu's chicken - pure heaven.

link to chicken http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7611.msg65858;topicseen#msg65858

the previous knock back forced me to retrench a little. tried the following this time which is stuff i feel i know:

recipe
used 16g root coriander cw/ 30ml coarse chopped leaf
added 5g coconut block
added 5 ml mustard oil (35ml in total so 14% mustard oil)
added 2.5 ml lime juice

this recipe was always good - i'm now essentially sorted. there is just one taste that's slightly out of balance - i can't really put my finger on it - it's not spice - i think it's the tin tomatoes which i'm going to reduce on next make to say 100ml and up the onion to compensate - it's a sort of dry taste can't really explain it. i may even have to use fresh tomato as this dish really does deserve it.

well pleased. i no longer feel a need to look at variants.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2012, 06:01 PM »
i've re tried the recipe reducing the tin toms - this has sorted that last nagging sort of dry taste.

i've also re tried it without the carrot and like both.

i've also found the standard recipe amount not enough for 2 people wanting to drown the rice

for info recipe as is x1.5 (std amounts). these days i'm weighing/counting straight into the pan):

cinnamon 2.5g (1.7)
cardamom 7 off (5)
asian bay 3 off (2)
onion 700g (470)
veg oil 37.5 ml (25)
garlic puree or g/g 7.5ml (5)
mix powder 15ml (10)
tin toms 150g (100)
water 150g (100)
salt 5ml (5)
coriander root 15g (10)
veg ghee 10g (7)
carrot (optional) 100g (70)
green chilli 2 off (i'm using sauce 15ml) (1)
coconut block 7.5g (5)
mustard oil 7.5ml (5)
lime juice 3.75 ml (say 5ml) (2.5)
tom puree 15ml (10)

©2024 Curry Recipes