Author Topic: 8 Spice by Abdul Mohed  (Read 44967 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Spice by Abdul Mohed
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Try & stick as closely as you can To recipes if reporting back. There's nothing worse than "I made this base yesterday, but I was out of onions" reports

I agree with you that it can invalidate an assessment if you leave out any ingredients. But livo makes a valid point that there are far too many uncertainties in many recipes, from people who may not want to give too much away. Garam masala or 'curry powder; can be almost anything. As livo says, there are thousands of combinations, and too much uncertainty.

I don't worry  about certainties cooking bir anymore George.
There's hundreds of posts from people going full circle over & over again.
Any version of a recipe I make will ultimately become my version. Problem sometimes lies in the original dish not being tasted. That would give something to aim at. That's what I liked about the zaal reports a couple of years ago
Regards
Elw

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2014, 02:25 PM »
I have used many brands but I have found Raja was the best.

Abdul

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2014, 12:14 AM »
I suspected he would be using Rajah as it seems to be the yard stick over there.  The actual Rajah brand is not available to me locally although I can obtain it online. This may well be worth the extra effort and cost if it is that far superior.  I can get to Sydney in under 2 hours so I may have to look for the nearest supply link.  I do have all the necessary whole spices and single powders so I'm happy to make my own "Rajah Curry Powder" if someone cares to share a method of making a similar product to it.

The main point here was about the early apparent kerfuffle in the use of Tandoori Powder which essentially is just another combination of the same spices we already use and it is added in such small quantity to the recipe anyway.  I understand that it isn't "normally done", but that doesn't make it wrong, particularly in this food style which is known for individual variation.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2014, 12:22 AM »
I suspected he would be using Rajah as it seems to be the yard stick over there.  The actual Rajah brand is not available to me locally although I can obtain it online. This may well be worth the extra effort and cost if it is that far superior.  I can get to Sydney in under 2 hours so I may have to look for the nearest supply link.  I do have all the necessary whole spices and single powders so I'm happy to make my own "Rajah Curry Powder" if someone cares to share a method of making a similar product to it.

The main point here was about the early apparent kerfuffle in the use of Tandoori Powder which essentially is just another combination of the same spices we already use and it is added in such small quantity to the recipe anyway.  I understand that it isn't "normally done", but that doesn't make it wrong, particularly in this food style which is known for individual variation.
Just use what you can get livo & keep a note for your own references. Its not critical. I sometimes  buy spices from a wholesalers that are part of a global company(you can walk in ), who the birs also use.
 The brands change from week to week sometimes. Garam masala is a separate case I suppose & may be made from whole spices in a decent restaurant

ELW

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2015, 09:36 PM »
I've now been using Abdul's 8 spice mix since I joined this forum and I can honestly say it very good
I've used it around 20 times now so it's been well tested
Bob

©2024 Curry Recipes