Author Topic: Lamb Keema with Peas by Abdul Mohed  (Read 7270 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lamb Keema with Peas by Abdul Mohed
« on: October 26, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Recipe provided by abdulmohed2002 - moved here by Razor

Lamb keema with peas

Ingredients

Lamb keema ? half kilo (boiled, drained and put aside)
Frozen/fresh peas  4 tbsp (defrost)
Finely chopped onions  3 tbsp
Capsicum  quarter finely chopped
Salt  quarter tsp (according to taste)
Garam masala  half tsp
Garlic and ginger mix  1 tbsp (heap)
8 spice  2 tsp
Chilli powder  1 tsp
Tomato puree 1 tsp
1 small tomato cut into four (optional)
Oil 3 to 4 tbsp
Gravy   half pint

Garnish
Coriander

Method

1.   In a pot, pour the oil and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
2.   Then add the keema, peas, onions, capsicum, salt, garam masala, ginger garlic mix, 8 spice, chilli powder and tomato puree. Stir well and cook for 20 minutes over medium heat (stirring occasionally).

Image hosting by CR0.co.uk

3.   Once it is nicely cooked, add half pint of gravy, small tomato and stir well over medium heat for 10 minutes.

4.   Once the keema has nicely cooked, garnish with coriander.

NOTE: The times are all according to my cooker at the restaurant so please bare in mind that your cooking time will vary.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Keema with Peas by Abdul Mohed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Tried this recipe as well, this is a BIG faourite.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=6090.0

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 04:22 PM »
How long do you boil for?

Jen

Recipe provided by abdulmohed2002 - moved here by Razor

Lamb keema with peas

Ingredients

Lamb keema ? half kilo (boiled, drained and put aside)
Frozen/fresh peas  4 tbsp (defrost)
Finely chopped onions  3 tbsp
Capsicum  quarter finely chopped
Salt  quarter tsp (according to taste)
Garam masala  half tsp
Garlic and ginger mix  1 tbsp (heap)
8 spice  2 tsp
Chilli powder  1 tsp
Tomato puree 1 tsp
1 small tomato cut into four (optional)
Oil 3 to 4 tbsp
Gravy   half pint

Garnish
Coriander

Method

1.   In a pot, pour the oil and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
2.   Then add the keema, peas, onions, capsicum, salt, garam masala, ginger garlic mix, 8 spice, chilli powder and tomato puree. Stir well and cook for 20 minutes over medium heat (stirring occasionally).

3.   Once it is nicely cooked, add half pint of gravy, small tomato and stir well over medium heat for 10 minutes.

4.   Once the keema has nicely cooked, garnish with coriander.

NOTE: The times are all according to my cooker at the restaurant so please bare in mind that your cooking time will vary.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Around 10 minutes.

Offline JennyLou90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:02 PM »
You're star! Thank you. :)

Around 10 minutes.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 05:39 AM »
This is a recipe for Kheema Mattar (Mince Lamb with Peas) that I have been using since late 2007, 6 years before joining CRO.  I immediately loved it as it somehow reminded me of something I didn't know I even remembered.  ???  I found it on a rather unexpected site called The Gumbo Pages out of New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, but this particular recipe apparently came from a Scot named John Taggart.  I'm sure my clan is a feudin' with them-there Taggarts.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/indian/kheema-mattar.html 

The site owner is very specific about using his writings without accreditation so I have not simply reproduced it. ;)  Hope it's OK Chuck.  (I was probably searching for Creole Blackened Fish or Bay Seasoned Crab when I accidentally stumbled upon this recipe). 

The very first time I cooked this dish, I found that the leftovers are absolutely delicious warmed up and eaten on buttered white bread toast with some fresh tomato slices for breakfast, and I have done exactly that every time I've cooked it since.  Give it a try. :D

After seeing ChewyTikka's Josephine dinner post this morning, I thought I might trot it out for another bash.  I couldn't get any lamb mince today but I did manage to buy 1.5 kg of Lamb Offcuts and I have my own mincer.  It will probably be better anyway as I can control the amount of fat that goes in.  Wifey will be happy.  :-*

I guess all it will take to "Baltify" this is to use Balti GM and some similar amount of general Balti Masala in place of the spices from the recipe and cook it in my Balti wok.   ;)  While it is delicious as per recipe, I'd like to fluff it up a little this time to follow CT's lead of a Balti Kheema.  I love the word Balti in front of or behind any Indian dish name.

Indian recipes.  :o  :o Throw in an extra couple of letters here or there just to keep the search engines working.  I often pick up real bargains in the online classifieds from spelling variations as well.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:21 AM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:57 PM »
Last nights prep, cooking and finished Kheema Mattar (served with Tikka Botti spiced Pork Cutlets rice and salad).

This is approximately a half quantity from the recipe which is plenty. Cooking a full amount gives you quite a lot of Kheema. The recipe calls for the additions of water after the already cooked lamb is returned to the pan.  I feel that a portion of the water needs to be added soon after the spices so they don't burn and this is what I do. I suppose I should try it as stated but burnt spice worries me.  I also add the tomato in 3 stages so that there is some that has broken right down and some is still recognisable as tomato.  For the last addition, I leave the skin on. This is more about appearance and colour than anything else.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 11:01 PM »
Cooked this again on Boxing Day evening.  It is worth a bump.

I'm about to have a serve on toast with fresh home grown tomato and green Rajah chilli slices.

The recipe again can be found here

Produces some nice spiced oil in the process as well.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 11:39 PM »
Agh, it?s all in the timing Livo, but thanks for the link. Today I had a pack of ground lamb and was looking at keema matar and aloo keema etc etc and in the end decided to make another batch of Syed?s amazing seekh kebabs, so the meat is currently marinating in the fridge.  I?d definitely have given this a go but will need to do that next time. Looks delicious.

One advantage of doing the kebabs, I keep a couple of small portions of uncooked keema as it makes beautiful keema pilau.  The most amazing smell when I fry it up.

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes