Author Topic: Onion Bhajis  (Read 8139 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Onion Bhajis
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Always struggled cooking onion bhajis.They always seemed a bit 'dough' like or just too crispy on the outside and too soft in the middle.Bit like supermarket ones I guess.Had a free afternoon so I decided to have another go...few ingredient tweeks and cooler oil...hey presto success....actually more flavour than some of the Takeaways round here.Another go and I reckon I've cracked it.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Onion Bhajis
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:19 PM »
Now they look damn tasty jb.  I could go one or two of them right now mate :P :P

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:43 PM »
Many thanks ;D they came out a treat(nearly as good as my recent pilau)  Bit tricky getting the oil the right temp as I didn't have a fryer or thermometer so it was all done by eye...the first batch was the best.

Off to Spices tonight NI Special as usual!!  Wife said she won't go anywhere near me tomorrow!!

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:49 PM »
jb they look great and I agree with you getting the both the outside and the inside right is tricky. What do you think made the difference on this occasion?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Main thing is correct oil temp...too hot and the outside burns and the middle is raw,too cold and they just soak up oil...

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Off to Spices tonight NI Special as usual!!  Wife said she won't go anywhere near me tomorrow!!

Was in there Tues and last night and had NIS on both occasions.  Tues was very dry though :(.  Soon rectified last night though.  Let me know if yours comes up dry tonight jb as my friend had it last night and hers was  a bit dry.  Better still, take a pic.  Enjoy 8)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:09 PM »
Heres a tip for cooking the centre but im sure you all know it anyway - after you have made your little ball of Bhaji and put it in the oil - cook it for a couple of mins or less depending on the temperature - then take out and let drain - let it cool - when you can touch it open the centre slightly with your fingers then squash it between your hands or on a flat surface - then refry for a min - DONE! with centre cooked

best, Rich

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 09:57 AM »

Was in there Tues and last night and had NIS on both occasions.  Tues was very dry though :(.  Soon rectified last night though.  Let me know if yours comes up dry tonight jb as my friend had it last night and hers was  a bit dry.  Better still, take a pic.  Enjoy 8)
[/quote

Very dry??  Never had that.They do have an annoying habit of presenting some main dishes already served up on your plate as opposed leaving it on the table in a dish.I always have been served up sizzling in a karahi dish.Here's last night's offering...blooming nice it was too...

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:19 AM »

[/quote

Very dry??  Never had that.They do have an annoying habit of presenting some main dishes already served up on your plate as opposed leaving it on the table in a dish.I always have been served up sizzling in a karahi dish.Here's last night's offering...blooming nice it was too...

Now that is exactly how i've come to expect it jb.  Looks brilliant :P :P.  But that's not how i got it on Tues nor how my friend got it on Thurs - hers too was on the plate and not in the dish and certaily didn't have the normal amount of sauce either  >:(. Inconsistancy goings on in the kitchen.  I'm going to do one for tonights supper with plenty of sauce  ;D ;D

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 06:17 PM »

[/quote

Now that is exactly how i've come to expect it jb.  Looks brilliant :P :P.  But that's not how i got it on Tues nor how my friend got it on Thurs - hers too was on the plate and not in the dish and certaily didn't have the normal amount of sauce either  >:(. Inconsistancy goings on in the kitchen.  I'm going to do one for tonights supper with plenty of sauce  ;D ;D

The guys are really friendly in there-They actually made a mistake once and it come served on a plate and I sent it back-no problem.I showed them the pictures of my bhajis...they were very impressed....One guy always asks how my cooking is going.I always get on the subject of the chef's base gravy but he says only the chef knows what goes in it. Must get a takeaway tonight ;D good luck with your cooking(pictures please!!)

©2024 Curry Recipes