Author Topic: Onion Bhajis  (Read 8141 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Onion Bhajis
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 07:28 PM »
That looks so damn good :P.  Whose recipe was the onion bahji?  They are a great crowd of lads alright.  I'm trying to get in the kitchen to see how chef does the saag bahji.  He managed to get it dry but oh so tasty.  I'll let you know how i get on.  I won't let on i know too much, they may be a bit reluctant otherwise. I'll just use my eyes. I'll post a pic of my NIS before i serve it up.  I'll have to use the other computer for that as i can't seem to post pics on here now for some reason >:(.  I have some to post of Abdul's madras - definitely worth the effort, although only a madras ;D

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 08:09 PM »
That looks so damn good :P.  Whose recipe was the onion bahji?  They are a great crowd of lads alright.  I'm trying to get in the kitchen to see how chef does the saag bahji.  He managed to get it dry but oh so tasty.  I'll let you know how i get on.  I won't let on i know too much, they may be a bit reluctant otherwise. I'll just use my eyes. I'll post a pic of my NIS before i serve it up.  I'll have to use the other computer for that as i can't seem to post pics on here now for some reason >:(.  I have some to post of Abdul's madras - definitely worth the effort, although only a madras ;D

Get in that kitchen!! see what you can find out.I've tried myself without success but I'll keep pestering.The red(pakora style) sauce they serve with the poppadaoms is very tasty,love to know how the chef does that.

The bhajis were inspired by Mick(CBM)..many thanks by the way.....couple of subtle changes and hey presto (nearly) perfection.

Cooking a decent madras has always eluded me,love to see your pics.Seems so long ago that Abdhul was in my kitchen sharing his curry wisdom.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Hi JB try making my Amazing spicy onions - once made put in a blender until smooth - dilute with water until u get the right consistency u require - that might be the red sauce u r looking for ....

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 01:32 AM »
Already on the site jb.  I did try to reply but not easy on the phone in the pub.  Try gazmans original post or this one.  You will end up with what you spread on your poppadums at Spice.  Enjoy  ;D

Gazmans pakora sauce:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3897.msg35306#msg35306

or an  alternative

1x large onion
1x teaspoon of salt
1x tablespoon of hot chilli powder (adjust to suit taste - i like 'em spicy)(i'd use a tsp)
1x tablespoon of mint sauce (i'd use a  tsp and add more to taste)
6x tablespoons of tomato sauce
One tablespoon of pureed (and thinned down) sweet mango chutney
Red food colouring
dash of lemon juice

Peel and very finely chop/dice the onion, place in a bowl, add the salt, chilli powder, mint sauce, tomato sauce and lemon juice

Don't puree anything though.  Just follow the instructions with the chopped onions  ;D

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:04 AM by curryhell »

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 06:36 AM »
Thanks guys I'll give that a go......

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Hi JB try making my Amazing spicy onions - once made put in a blender until smooth - dilute with water until u get the right consistency u require - that might be the red sauce u r looking for ....
For me Gazman your recipe is spot on for what jb is looking for.  Just may need to tweak the quantities a little to achieve what we get in our local.  They don't puree it either.  I never had pakora or the dip when i was in Scotland.  Boy am i glad it made the long journey all the way to Essex ;D

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 11:32 AM »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 11:50 AM »
The guys are really friendly in there-They actually made a mistake once and it come served on a plate and I sent it back-no problem.I showed them the pictures of my bhajis...they were very impressed....One guy always asks how my cooking is going.I always get on the subject of the chef's base gravy but he says only the chef knows what goes in it. Must get a takeaway tonight ;D good luck with your cooking(pictures please!!)

Back in business now.  I can post pics again.  Last nights NIS -  mmm, delicious

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 12:35 PM »
That's the pink sauce, not the red sauce we r looking for

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 01:42 PM »
red sauce