Author Topic: takeaway Spice Mixes  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
takeaway Spice Mixes
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:23 AM »
Hi everyone

Just wondering if anybody has managed to use a Takeaways/ Restaurants mixed powder with their own curry base and what results they achieved. Reason I ask is that I have managed to get a good supply of a takeaways mixed powder and the results are superb. Whilst my own mix (actually Abduls 8 spice) gives a good curry, the takeaways is noticeably better. Obviously I feel this is cheating as the supply isn't endless! so I'm keen to get other opinions!!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: takeaway Spice Mixes
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Hi everyone

Just wondering if anybody has managed to use a Takeaways/ Restaurants mixed powder with their own curry base and what results they achieved. Reason I ask is that I have managed to get a good supply of a takeaways mixed powder and the results are superb. Whilst my own mix (actually Abduls 8 spice) gives a good curry, the takeaways is noticeably better. Obviously I feel this is cheating as the supply isn't endless! so I'm keen to get other opinions!!
I think you need to get down on bended knee and beg, implore and supplicate for their recipe, then validate it by making up your own and seeing if it is identical.  If necessary, offer money : I am sure most of us will chip in.  And if all else fails, try to locate a really good analytical laboratory and send them a sample ...

** Phil.

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Haha

I've thought of the Lab thing already. the problem is the takeaway owner is happy to give me the spice mix but  he says his chef won't even tell him what the mix is!!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:40 PM »
I've thought of the Lab thing already. the problem is the takeaway owner is happy to give me the spice mix but  he says his chef won't even tell him what the mix is!!
Well, that stuff may be as valuable as gold-dust, so make sure you save some just in case one of our members turns out to a food analyst !

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Hi everyone

I have been given many spice mixes
Some places are very open about this
One place simply uses Hot Basaar mix
Two other places use a five spice blend
Coriander,turmeric,mild madras,paprika with a half part of cummin
I've seen this mixed, so I know this to be true
They actually mix it using full bags of spices and do it by hand!!
One other place (now closed) used equal portions of each of the above 5 spices
All of them make (made) excellent curries with amazing aromas
My firm favourite, is made with basaar, though

If you use their spice mix, The curries work well at home, but you need a version of their base too
Otherwise it's pointless
You don't get the same
It's a fine balance
This really is a skill

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 01:51 PM »
I agree with that one Haldi, The takeaway owner told me to use the mix in the onion base as well and it had the almost creamy onion flavour we all crave as a finished article. When I used another mix powder with the original base it tasted a little bitter.

©2024 Curry Recipes