Author Topic: Chicken Bhuna - Finally Cracked It!!  (Read 128752 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Bhuna - Finally Cracked It!!
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2013, 05:31 PM »
I am under doctors orders to stay of the spicy food and beer kill me now. A bhuna was the 1st curry i ever had and loved it so i thought i would give it a go it is very nice the only changes i made were i used normal oil and i put a piece of cassia bark in with the star anise A

Excellent news, Jamie :  well done.  Bob's recipes can usually be relied upon, and I'm glad this one worked for you.  I must put it at the top of my "to do" list !

** Phil.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2013, 05:37 PM »
It was a nice change to the usuall stuff i eat philll really enjoyed it

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2014, 11:03 AM »
 Made this curry again last night, and once more it was amazing. I used Admin new base and also added 1ts deggi mirch and 3 hot thin green chillis as I prefer my bhuna hotter. Think this has to be my favourite curry at the moment, cant recommend it enough, thanks 976bar.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Hi All

Not got that much experience of Bhunas but made 976's the other day and what a flavour!!!! Quite astonished at the taste with relatively little ingredients and fuss.

Mine was a King prawn version with Abduls base and mix powder and a mixture of veg oil and asdas chalice oil. Needed a little more oil as this base is low oil content, also used a whole elephant garlic bulb as they are not split into bulbs. Had it with plain rice so I could pick out all the flavour,Very very very  moreish,

Can't wait to try the lamb and chicken versions!!

Here's a piccy!

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it aswell Ed, I dont have any experience with restaurant Bhunas, so couldnt say how close this is, but it is a fantastic curry, full of flavour. I made it again on friday for a friend who picked it up saturday, he text me on the the night "marry me!" he said it beat any take away hands down

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I'm pleased you both enjoyed my recipe.

However, remember, Bhuna is a style of cooking not a flavour. It should be a dryish fried dish with not too much sauce or a dryish thickish kind of sauce.

My recipe is my take on a Bhuna, which I am sure will vary from region to region, but feel free to experiment with whatever ingredients suit your palate... :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2014, 08:50 PM »
In the over-two-years that have elapsed since you first published this recipe, Bob, have you made any adjustments to it when you cook it for yourself ?

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2014, 09:05 PM »
In the over-two-years that have elapsed since you first published this recipe, Bob, have you made any adjustments to it when you cook it for yourself ?

** Phil.

To be totally honest Phil, no I haven't. I am happy with what I have produced, but I still do not think it is 100% to what I have had, and with only about two restaurants. There is a depth to this dish which I have not fathomed out yet nor had the time.

When I get the time, I will work on it further, but for me I am thinking it has something to do with the garlic and the process of cooking it...

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2014, 09:34 PM »
I think if it has stood the test of time, and particularly in view both of the rave reviews it has received and my love for old-fashioned bhuna, this has to be my next curry.  Bob's chicken bhuna, here I come :)

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2014, 09:43 PM »
I think if it has stood the test of time, and particularly in view both of the rave reviews it has received and my love for old-fashioned bhuna, this has to be my next curry.  Bob's chicken bhuna, here I come :)

** Phil.

Thanks Phil, I hope it doesn't disappoint....

©2024 Curry Recipes