Author Topic: Chicken Bhuna - Finally Cracked It!!  (Read 128742 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Bhuna - Finally Cracked It!!
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2012, 08:35 AM »
CH, that looks lovely mate, well done and I am glad you enjoyed the recipe :)

I could eat that for breakfast :)

Offline mmmcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Made this the other day, was fantastic, my family said spot on BIR Bhuna, thanks for sharing the recipe, will defo make this one again.

I used the bruce edwards base and fenugreek powder instead of leaves and fennel seeds as i could not lay my hands on a star anise.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2012, 05:30 PM »
Made this the other day, was fantastic, my family said spot on BIR Bhuna, thanks for sharing the recipe, will defo make this one again.

I used the bruce edwards base and fenugreek powder instead of leaves and fennel seeds as i could not lay my hands on a star anise.

I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe even though it wasn't to speck. I would imagine that star anise will have a more pungent flavour than fennel seeds, but those will also give an effect :)

Offline malky

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2012, 12:37 PM »
hi there this recipe looks really good cant wait to try it . im just not sure where it says SPICE MIX on the ingredients can u explai what this is for me please ..

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2012, 04:37 PM »
hi there this recipe looks really good cant wait to try it . im just not sure where it says SPICE MIX on the ingredients can u explai what this is for me please ..

Hi Malky,

My personal spice mix is as follows, but you can use many of the spice mixes on this forum or create one of your own to suit your personal taste :)

8 parts ground coriander
7 parts turmeric
5 parts ground cumin
4 parts curry powder (I use Rajah Madras)
2 tsp fenugreek leaves (methi) finely rubbed
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I tried this a few weeks ago and while it beats some of the restaurant attempts at bhuna and is definitely a nod in the right direction it still lacks the depth of savouriness and flavour that bhunas of old used to have.

A very nice curry but sadly not a bhuna as I used to know it.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2012, 08:50 PM »
I tried this a few weeks ago and while it beats some of the restaurant attempts at bhuna and is definitely a nod in the right direction it still lacks the depth of savouriness and flavour that bhunas of old used to have.

A very nice curry but sadly not a bhuna as I used to know it.

I agree with you SS, but as long as it is a step in the right direction, then I feel I have contributed something worthwhile. It's the closest I have ever been to a restaurant Bhuna from the past.

As I have said before, most modern Bhuna's today are a tomatoe'y, bland mish mash of an attempt at a Bhuna just to include it on their menu's so not to be out done by the restaurant/take away next door, but very very few ever even come anywhere near to a real Bhuna, which is still my favourite dish.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Just talking about bhuna is making me salivate, so I'm going to have to give this a go, 967bar.

Sadly, as has been said, what they call bhuna in BIRs these days is a pale shadow of the real deal. In fact the last proper bhuna I had was 15 years ago at what was then the best restaurant in the area (restaurant still there, but original owner/staff/chef/bhuna regrettably not).

Their Lamb Bhuna Gosht was to die for. Deep and savoury with a thick, clinging sauce that coated the palate with layers of spice...

If I knew where that chef was now I'd track him down and beg him to make me one...

Offline ilovecurry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Hi,I recently tried cooking the Chicken Bhuna using Zaal's base sauce ,Taz's spice mix and some pre cooked chicken marinated 24 hours previously.The only difference I made away from the recipe is I reduced the amount of garlic to 3 cloves not the 5 as specified .
The resulting Chicken Bhuna I found was really sweet in taste ,is there a method of taking the sweetness away ,or maybe someone can tell me why it resulted in such a sweet taste with the recipes I used.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2013, 05:24 PM »
Hi
I am under doctors orders to stay of the spicy food and beer kill me now. A bhuna was the 1st curry i ever had and loved it so i thought i would give it a go it is very nice the only changes i made were i used normal oil and i put a piece of cassia bark in with the star anise A

©2024 Curry Recipes