Author Topic: New Kushi Balti Book - Anyone tried it yet?  (Read 5453 times)

Offline vin daloo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Kushi Balti Book - Anyone tried it yet?
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 01:09 PM »
the sheek kebab doesnt seem right either with all them chillies.  ive never had one with finely chopped green chillies in it!  I look forward to trying the onion bhaji though cos mine are total crap! (ive been making the batter too thin and cooking at too high a heat by the look of things)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 01:37 PM »
I am tempted to visit his restaurant, and see what flavour he is getting

Pete

Would you go in undercover, so to speak, or declare your huge interest in the book, the restaurant and the cooking, perhaps in the hope of getting invited to see the kitchen? I'll visit, if I get a chance and would almost certainly keep a 'low profile'.

Regards
George

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 06:15 PM »
As the chef has opened up and written this book, i think you should ask him via the website or email to Mr Haydor then everyone can read his reply.
One of the questions I?m interested in is: Are the recipes the Authentic ones that they cook in the restaurant or are they adapted to the home-user? Anyone know anything about that? (I dont own the book yet)

Also, if you planned to visit, are there any chances of seeing a balti made first hand. You can only try  ;)
Maybe if enough peeps are interested, you could all meet up for a balti evening and make it a really good curry evening. Sounds cool huh?

You could even contact the local rag and tell them you (we or a group of us) like the book and plan to make a pilgrimage (from all over the country) to mr Haydors restaurant and cook the food, eat the food and talk about the food. Im sure it would be only great publicity for his book, and if you describe us as the best, most serious curry club there is on the net (only the truth), it might be cool expedition which yields results.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:19 PM by Ashes »

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 06:39 PM »
Hi Ashes,

Reading the text of the book it seems the recipes etc are what the restaurant makes for it's customers and have not been adapted.
Some recipes may seem a little different in small ways to what we are used to but then again each restaurant can have a different method of making a dish anyway.

I have e-mailed the info line and I have found I have got a couple of replies to questions I have sent to the restaurant ( or whoever gets the e-mails ) and I don't think you need to buy the book to contact them yourself on their website www.baltibook.co.uk if you have some questions.

It would be a great idea to meet up en-mass for a night at the restaurant but the logistics of getting a big group together is quite a hard task. Might be worth a seperate posting on the site to gauge interest.

My own thoughts on the book so far is that it has generated an interest for me as there are a number of things different to the base and recipes we have on this site at the moment which gives me the inspiration to get cooking.
I am going to follow the book this weekend and report but in the meantime I think it is worth ?9 of anyones money to buy it and give it a go.
It may be a short book but for the price of a curry I consider it a good addition to my ever increasing curry library.

Regards

Ray

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 07:12 PM »
Looking at the recipes and comparing them to recipes I have seen first hand in BIR kitchens I would be amazed if they arent the real deal

©2024 Curry Recipes