Author Topic: Garam Masala  (Read 23552 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Garam Masala
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Nice follow on post Ray  ;)
Your explanation of the ' Chef's Special ' is spot on, I would just add it was only Cardamom (green) ,Cloves,Bay leaf and star anise that brought out that wonderful flavour,also as I'm using the C2G base which is heavily spiced why would I need to use even more of the same spices in the main dish (spice mix)  :-\ for me it's just working out how to incorporate the aromatic spices into the curry the BIR way,hence the Garam Masala. ;)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 06:23 PM »
What exactly do you find so difficult to understand in that idea ?

I don't think I'm the one finding things difficult to understand. I have posed three questions, none of them so far have been answered as far as I'm concerned. But let me make one of them a little clearer -

How is the Chef's Special Garam Masala actually being used? As a traditional Garam Masala would be or as a more generic Spice Mix and if it's the latter, why is it being called Garam Masala?

As you appear to understand things very clearly, perhaps you might like to offer an answer or your own opinion on this?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 06:34 PM »
How is the Chef's Special Garam Masala actually being used? As a traditional Garam Masala would be
Yes.
or as a more generic Spice Mix and if it's the latter, why is it being called Garam Masala?
No, it is not a generic Masala, it is a Garam Masala; that is why it is called a [Chef's Special] Garam Masala.
As you appear to understand things very clearly, perhaps you might like to offer an answer or your own opinion on this?
With pleasure : please see above.
** Phil.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 07:17 PM »
How is the Chef's Special Garam Masala actually being used? As a traditional Garam Masala would be
Yes.

So it's being added at the end of cooking then?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Yes.

So it's being added at the end of cooking then?
Perhaps, perhaps not : a masala does not change its name just because of when it is used; a Garam Masala is a Garam Masala, no matter whether it is used conventionally (sprinkled on just before serving) or unconventionally (introduced into the dish earlier, or even incorporated into other ingredients such as the base or the spice mix).  A beer mat is still a beer mat, no matter whether you use to as a drip-absorbing rest for your beer glass or to put under a table leg to stop the table wobbling.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:32 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Hi Jeera,

Well, 1% left to go, isn't bad at all mate.  You are using Garam Masala in a way that suits you and that is excellent, because it shows that it can be used in a way that differs from other peoples, mine included, methods.

Many thanks for your view,

Ray :)

Hi Ray,

I may have been slightly over optimistic in my 99% assessment there. Let''s call it 95% :-)

I do recall a couple of curries from years ago that I made that were the business and maybe got to 97% (I didn't know about mixed powder at  that time, so I never  used it then.... that said, I was never able to re-create a second time ... therefore a do feel the technique is key and sometimes you can  accidentally hit a home run with great results...

There definitely is an ingredient/quantity that i'm still searching for in addition to technique and  my heart tells me it's  one of these garamasala ingredients (oh and paprika and coconut) in the base too

the search continues :-)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Perhaps, perhaps not

Aha, so not quite as easy and straight forward as first thought then?

a masala does not change its name just because of when it is used; a Garam Masala is a Garam Masala

And a Garam Masala differs from a Spice Mix or Mix Powder in what way then?

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 09:04 PM »

Technically, Garam Masala IS a Spice mix, under any other name, or am i wrong here

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Perhaps, perhaps not

Aha, so not quite as easy and straight forward as first thought then?
Perfectly easy, and perfectly straightforward.  What you actually asked was "So it's being added at the end of cooking then?", to which the answer was, with complete accuracy, "perhaps, and perhaps not".  The very fact that it is garam masala does not mean that it has to be used as garam masala has traditionally been used, any more than anything has to be used in the way its creators intended.  This forum, for example, was created so that we might share our experiences and knowledge of BIR cuisine and benefit in so doing; but it is frequently used for quite unrelated purposes such as, for example, attempting to demonstrate one's superiority in all matters BIR to those too stupid to see it for themselves.

Well, to quote the words of a well-known authority on the subject, "In traditional Indian cookery, Garam Masala contained the four principal spices responsible for producing 'body heat' namely Black Peppercorns, Cloves, Cinnamon and Cardamon, hence the name Garam (heat) and Masala (spice mix). This was added in small quantities at the end of cooking to add aroma and fragrance to the finished dish. This was after the principal spicing of the dish had already been cooked into it at the beginning using the usual spices found in Indian cuisine - turmeric, cumin, coriander, paprika, chilli etc.".  A "spice mix", or a "mix powder", on the other hand, are less well-defined, both because the terms lack precision and because there is no long history to which we can refer in order to determine the real meaning.  However, in current usage, and certainly as used on this forum, they tend to refer to a pre-prepared blend of spices that require "cooking out" in order to develop their flavour and to take the edge off their rawness.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:11 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Hi Les

Technically, Garam Masala IS a Spice mix, under any other name, or am i wrong here

Technically yes, a Garam Masala is a spice mix or mix of spices, whichever you prefer.  The emphasis though is on the word "Garam", which means "hot or Heat"  The aromatics most commonly found in a GM are, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, star anise, black peppercorns, all of which don't 'usually' appear in a standard curry masala.  The heat or hot element that these spices bring, is not a heat that burns your tongue, but a heat that warms you from the inside.  Of course, the word Masala, applies to any mix of spices, whole or ground, whether it be Garam, or Curry, and even with added oil to make a paste..!

Now, as you will see at the beginning of this thread, there are many different varieties of garam masala, from many different regions and, they may even be used in different ways, ie; at the beginning, middle or the end of a dish.  But, whatever their use is, or however the chef, decides to use the Garam Masala, it doesn't, in my opinion, change that fact that it is a Garam Masala because of the aromatic/pungent (heat inducing) spices contained within it.

I'm now beginning to understand Spicey's line of enquiry within this subject.

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes