Author Topic: BHUNA FROM START  (Read 20584 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: BHUNA FROM START
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Can someone explain the importance of an aluminium pan please?

I think It's just the fact that it gets hotter quicker, But someone will let you know for sure.

HS

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Hi Ifindforu,

Interesting post thanks, but a quick search for eastern star curry powder and I could only find 10 kg tubs of a chinese curry powder. Does that sound like the same stuff?

Thanks,

Paul
If you need some Eastern star go here
thats the one i will be putting 8 ounce packs on ebay shortly but yes you can only buy it in 10 kilo tins but this is the real mcoy

I've noticed that Chinese Chef's use this brand of Curry Powder as well,  ;)
[url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120809616462#ht_500wt_1156] http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120809616462#ht_500wt_1156

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Ok I know some of you like to make meals quickly and not comercial way so ill give you this recipie
after watching the take aways bosses wife cook it in front of me,and I eat it later
MUST BE AN  ALIMINIUM FRYING PAN
1 onion chopped fine 3 tomatoes cut into pieces 4 chillies cut up, 1 tablespoon garlic ginger paste 80% garlic 20% ginger
do not peel the ginger when making this paste ,Put into frying pan and with half cup of oil,start frying
when all is on the go frying add half desert spoon of kashmir masala now it needs 2 desert spoons of eastern star curry powder keep frying and moving about not to burn.It must be fried until its like paste all fried down,now add your pre cooked meat and finish off with some fresh coriander hope you ENJOY aia f you need the powder then visithttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120809616462#ht_500wt_1156] [url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120809616462#ht_500wt_1156[/url]

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 06:09 PM »
I've just bought mine!  :)

Paul

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 06:36 PM »
madeinbeats,

i think the AL pan is to help stop sticking (although i've not used an AL pan myself). i don't see it being a high heat dish and intend to use my cast steel curry frying pan on my domestic hob.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 06:38 PM »
In the wrong place...
This whole thread should be moved to the Traditional Indian section,
as its nothing to do with making a curry base.
cheers Chewy

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 08:05 PM »
could not resist giving this a go. it's well off my normal beaten track and is certainly "traditional".

i quite enjoyed making the dish although it's far from the curry i love. it's a tad like bunjarra in many respects. the interest for me was in understanding how BIR came to be and it certainly does that. i was constantly questioning the method and quantities.

i naturally found myself adding a little water every now and then to speed up the process and also had to take pan off heat many times to stop catching and burn. the amount of spoon work is agonising.

anyhow recipe as i made it:

oil 30ml
onion 190g
tin toms 140g
garlic puree 15 ml
green chilli sauce 30ml
green chilli 1 off
bassar 5ml
curry powder 20ml

40 mins medium fry and say 10 off 5ml water additions

many thanks ifindforu - much appreciate the recipe posting. i would not have made this dish otherwise. a real good history lesson.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 08:12 PM »
Hi Jerry,

What did you do with this - did you actually eat it? It's not clear from your post.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 11:21 PM »
I've just bought mine!  :)

Paul

Hi Paul
Just looked at this, a Fiver for 75p worth of 'Chinese' curry powder, quite the entrepreneur
our ifindforu, should clear 150 quid a tin, hope the recipe good.

cheers Chewy

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 09:01 PM »
PaulP,

it's a really good question. i actually felt it was a sort of stage 1 and that something must follow. i believe it's not and what you see is a proper bhuna and the finished dish.

it has the hallmarks of something i would like and make often. the recipe as is though - is too traditional for me.

i did eat most of it but can't say i enjoyed it - it's a very moorish taste and i can see potential but not for me with the recipe as is. that's not a surprise to me as i've tried traditional or authentic curry before and it's a step too far.

it could just be on the recipe scaling that something is not quite right - i don't know. for me the spice would need to reduce to max 1 tsp (5ml) or 2 tsp pushing it. the 20ml of curry powder makes for a very intense and dry taste - i'm just not used to.

where i go from here - i'm still pondering - the question i'm trying to answer is does a "BIR" equivalent exist or is bunjarra it.

i don't see this or any curry experience as a fail just an opportunity to explore more and further develop my understanding - i don't see any otherway of achieving my current object of recipe refinement.

ps i'd encourage you to give the staff curry a go and see it as a leg up the ladder but not the final picture. it's not BIR for sure and it depends on your personal needs. for example if ginger is not on your list take it out.

©2024 Curry Recipes