Author Topic: BHUNA FROM START  (Read 20611 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: BHUNA FROM START
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 12:25 AM »
Jerry, I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but did you actually follow the final stage of the original recipe, which reads : "now add your pre cooked meat and finish off with some fresh coriander". I ask simply because I can see neither in your photograph, and I have this strange feeling that you may have eaten it as-is, rather than using it as a coating for your meat ...

** Phil.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Can someone explain the importance of an aluminium pan please?
an aliminium pan helps you cook without burning

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 08:22 PM »

I just watched the curry2go chef say the exact opposite?

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 08:35 PM »

I think Julien knows what he's talking about. The other chappie was just a kitchen hand who knows all but knows little. The best he can come up with is hints of knowing the secrets. But never comes across with anything concrete

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 08:52 PM »
I think Julien knows what he's talking about. The other chappie was just a kitchen hand who knows all but knows little. The best he can come up with is hints of knowing the secrets. But never comes across with anything concrete

I've been following the unrest on the other thread in between masterchef..he's losing credibility fast
I've never used an ali pan in my life, does the 'roasting' mentioned by Julien have any merits in your opinion,I like the sound of it
Regards
ELW

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 09:35 AM »

I agree with infindforu on this one. Aluminium pans are better.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 11:07 AM »
Aluminium pans are better

Also off topic, but I wonder why you would say that?  In my opinion, BIRs tend to use Aluminum pans for a limited number of reasons:

1.  First and absolutely foremost, in my opinion, is that they are relatively CHEAP and LIGHT!

2.  Aluminium has a relatively high thermal conductivity and thermal difussivity (but it certainly is NOT a "perfect conductor" of heat...should a "perfect conductor of heat actually exist!).  This enables it to heat (and cool) quickly and to distribute heat evenly.

3.  Aluminium has a relatively low heat capacity (per unit volume) and heats up quickly (maybe important in a restaurant?) and cools down quickly (perhaps easier to control?).  But, as a downside, higher heat capacity (per unit volume) materials are better than aluminium regarding heat retention. 

4.  Aluminium is relatively soft (and reactive), which gives the distinct feeling of scraping away the surface material (which is probably the case) when cooking and stirring.

5.  There are many other types of pan (e.g. copper clad, non-stick, carbon steel, cast iron, etc) which can give a better combination of desirable properties i.e. good heat conduction, even heat distribution and high heat capacity.  But they tend to be prohibitively expensive (presumably for BIRs!)

That's my view on Aluminium pans, for what it's worth (yes, I do use Aluminium pans; and several other types, including cast iron, copper clad stainless steel, stainless steel, etc)  :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:48 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 04:24 PM »
I wonder why you would say that?  In my opinion, BIRs tend to use Aluminum pans for a limited number of reasons

Aluminium is second only to copper for heat conduction, amongst common metals, and is much cheaper. It leads to an even heat spread throughout a pan, which I see as desirable. Stainless steel is the worse - simply awful, unless backed with aluminium or copper. Copper can't really be used unless coated with tin, and that's not feasible for use on high flames.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 04:19 PM »
I wonder why you would say that?  In my opinion, BIRs tend to use Aluminum pans for a limited number of reasons

Aluminium is second only to copper for heat conduction, amongst common metals, and is much cheaper. It leads to an even heat spread throughout a pan, which I see as desirable. Stainless steel is the worse - simply awful, unless backed with aluminium or copper. Copper can't really be used unless coated with tin, and that's not feasible for use on high flames.
yes George stainless steel as in wok is only used for a biriani  that is the case where i work aliminium for curries such as bhuna/ madras/dupiazas as the curry like acid would take away the nonstick on the wok,by the way thw he cleans the wok is never wash it just heat it up and use a steel wool type cleaner then whipie with paper towel

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 04:25 PM »
I've just bought mine!  :)

Paul

Hi Paul
Just looked at this, a Fiver for 75p worth of 'Chinese' curry powder, quite the entrepreneur
our ifindforu, should clear 150 quid a tin, hope the recipe good.

cheers Chewy
think you need to check your figures that would work out at ?25 a tin,find me some for that price and ill send you 2ib for free

©2024 Curry Recipes