Author Topic: Chowk Ki Tikki  (Read 6660 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chowk Ki Tikki
« on: November 13, 2011, 11:44 AM »
I found this recipe the other day and have just tried it and it's delicious. A good accompaniment maybe for Chicken/Lamb Tikka or Sheek Kebabs as a starter or indeed on it's own with a tomato or coriander relish. I didn't have either to hand so opted for Maagi Hot Chili sauce :)

The original recipe didn't call for onion to be added and I also upped some of the spices a little as I thought the original dish a little bland. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Ingredients
2 tsp crushed toasted cumin seeds
half tsp red chili powder
2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
half an onion cut into thin slices
half tsp chopped green chilies
4 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1 and a half tsp salt
400g peeled and grated potatoes

Method
Mix all the ingredients together and shape the mixture into 2 inch diameter cakes with half an inch thickness.

Pat them well and rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.

Heat a non-stick pan and pour 4 tbsp vegetable oil and pan fry the potato cakes on both sides giving a nice crisp brown surface.

The pan shouldn?t be too hot ? the best results are achieved with a lowish heat.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chowk Ki Tikki
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Hey 976,

Gutted :(  I've been looking for an exciting new starter to add to my repertoire and this would have fit the bill just nicely.  Unfortunately, I have knocked up my usual bhaji's, seekh kebabs and mixed samosas for tomorrows curry night, so this has come a little too late for me (even though you posted it 5 days ago)

I did dabble with Kris Dhillons Aloo Ki Tikki, but I think I misunderstood her instruction with regards to salt.  The recipe asked for 1 tsp of salt, which I figured was part of the 'mix' but then it said boil the potatoes in salted water, so I added salt to the water, and still added 1 tsp to the final mix.  The result was way too salty for me, so I need to do a bit more work with that I think?

I like the look of yours though, kind of remind me of an Indian Rosti or potato bhaji.

Ray :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:03 PM »
i love aloo tikki :P full of green chillies.
always used to buy em alongside shami kebabs when i lived in london.

mc donalds mc aloo tikki
probably the best thing to ever come out of McDonalds ;)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Hey 976,

Gutted :(  I've been looking for an exciting new starter to add to my repertoire and this would have fit the bill just nicely.  Unfortunately, I have knocked up my usual bhaji's, seekh kebabs and mixed samosas for tomorrows curry night, so this has come a little too late for me (even though you posted it 5 days ago)

I did dabble with Kris Dhillons Aloo Ki Tikki, but I think I misunderstood her instruction with regards to salt.  The recipe asked for 1 tsp of salt, which I figured was part of the 'mix' but then it said boil the potatoes in salted water, so I added salt to the water, and still added 1 tsp to the final mix.  The result was way too salty for me, so I need to do a bit more work with that I think?

I like the look of yours though, kind of remind me of an Indian Rosti or potato bhaji.

Hi Razor,

Sorry you got this too late, but if you do make these in the future, then ensure that the oil is on a low heat. The recipe called for a medium heat, but the first batch got brown on the outside but the potato on the inside was still a bit too crunchy, so the second batch came out a lot better on a low heat.

Also with these Dalpuri, you can probably add whatever you like to the mixture, and I would imagine you could add as much green chili as you like to give it some kick :)

I was also wondering whether some grated Paneer added to the mixture would also give it an optional twist? :)

I've also got a new starter recipe for Scallops in Ginger and lime, but want to try these out first before I post on here :)

Happy days :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 05:31 PM »

I've also got a new starter recipe for Scallops in Ginger and lime, but want to try these out first before I post on here

Sounds awesome, can't wait for that one.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I made these for the second time tonight with varying success.

Firstly the taste.  Nice salty taste with a strong cumin flavour.  Very tasty.

The problem for me is the same problem I have come across whe trying to make potato rosti.  If the oil is too hot the potato is raw inside as has happened with rosti cooking previously.

I tried the gentle frying technique this time.  The potato was cooked ok but the insides were soggy and had soaked in a lot of the oil.  Any ideas on improving my technique so I can get a nice mildly crispy outside with a soft but not too oily centre?

My one tip for anyone making these is to try to use a floury potato with a low moisture content.  The first time I made them I used a white potato and the startch and moisture content after grating was tremendous.  I then had difficulty making them stay together.

All that being said this is a good recipe that I will be using again (whilst improving my technique).  Cheers for posting

Regards

Barry

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Hi Barry,
why not try the double fry method like some do with chips?
or poke a hole in the centre for the second fry as with bhajis.

cheers, frank ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes