Author Topic: Garabi Maker  (Read 19088 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Garabi Maker
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Hi All
Garabi Maker
Interesting piece of kit, anybody got one?.

Seems ideal for those who don't want to produce a freezer full
of curry base. But rather a fresh, there and then, curry cooking session.

We all probably like the theatre of making a big pan of curry base, but the clean up can become
a bit of a pain, especially if you've got the other half on your case.

As I'm in the market for a new jug blender, I came across this and got me thinking.

Waring Soup Maker WSM1U
http://store.makro.co.uk/p-8929-waring-soup-maker-wsm1u.aspx?gclid=CJeuudaMtqwCFQRP4QodnCtcGg

Cuisinart also do a similar version.
src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ORwIAx42BMI"

Any real life info appreciated
cheers Chewy

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Garabi Maker
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Not identical, but a number of goblet blenders, all of which I find more reliable (and less worrying, in terms of risk of burn-out) than a hand-held stick blender.  I know that one of our members (I forget who) has a stick blender with a 1,5HP motor on the end, and I'm certain that that won't burn out in a hurry, but the little 150 -- 450 watt jobbies always seem to be close to their limits, even after as few as 15 seconds, to me ...

** Phil.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 01:49 PM »
Hi Phil, I'm the one with the big Waring blender - a pressie for my 50th birthday last winter. TBH it doesn't blend any better than a 400 watt domestic hand held blender, but no sign of it ever overheating on me.

I was just looking at those soup makers and some people reviewing on Amazon reckon they are quite hard to clean and that you can still burn the ingredients if you're not watching the machine constantly.

Then again I can see the attraction of cooking and blending a half batch of base in one machine and not even bothering to freeze the stuff because you would probably eat it before it went off.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Interesting piece of kit, anybody got one?.

I've been using a very similar device for decades, known as a liquidiser, fitted to the Kenwood Chef and Major range. I also have a standalone model similarin function to the one in your image. I'd never want to use a hand held blender.

Garabi maker? Where does that strange word come from? Why not call it base sauce?

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 02:21 PM »
George, it's not just a liquidiser - it has a heating element so it cooks the contents before blending.

For me this one looks like a nice jug blender. 2.0 litre glass jug that can take boiling liquid, 1000 watt motor and a high price tag to match:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Villaware-BLVLLAZ05H-Litre-Blender-Metal/dp/B002WV0N98/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1321279919&sr=1-3

Cheers,

Paul

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 02:29 PM »
Hi Phil
It would be nice if you could stick to the post, rather than take it off topic as  you do so often.
I'm not interested in your views on bloody stick blenders. >:(

I posted this to see if anybody had one, or any real life experience of them.

Thanks Paul, watched a few ytube vids, but not too reliable.

Chewy

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Hi Phil
It would be nice if you could stick to the post, rather than take it off topic as  you do so often.
I'm not interested in your views on bloody stick blenders. >:(
Wrong side of the bed, or wrong time of the month, CT ?
** Phil.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:27 PM »
I've used the Cuisinart one for doing soups, as a family member has one. They're pretty good and very convenient, as it's an all in one solution. They're pricey though, so I suppose it becomes a question of whether you can justify it.

Be interested to hear what you think if you do get one and how a scaled-down version of your base fares.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 10:07 AM »
George, it's not just a liquidiser - it has a heating element so it cooks the contents before blending.

Wow, I agree that makes it more noteworthy. I had no idea. Thanks for pointing out the heating aspect. Whether it's worthwhile is another matter, though.

I agree with Phil about stick blenders and I read his post as wholly relevant to this thread.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 02:15 PM »

©2024 Curry Recipes