Author Topic: Garabi Maker  (Read 19087 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Garabi Maker
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 10:50 AM »
Yes, that's the one NJ.
The Aussie identical version "Kambrook" has a far better PDF booklet to download.
Very robust build quality, love the jug, with the fill and forget approach, you don't really notice it's on, even the blend function is pretty quiet.

My original theory of a Garabi Maker is a no brainer in reality, plus this tool has much more uses!

The other noticeable point is, its a very clean way of working in a domestic kitchen.

Better half friendly ;D ;D 8) Brownie points even.

cheers Chewy

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Interesting this. It's a very different approach to the standard "cook in bulk then preserve" which we home cooks tend to have to adopt. Potentially it could even get you closer to a restaurant taste if you're using fresh base gravy each day (as restaurants do).

Just wondering how time efficient it is to cook each day versus the bulk approach. How much prep time and cooking time is involved in making the small batches the soup maker is capable of, and how many curries can you cook with one batch when done?

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Hi Gongalo
Picked up the Morphy Richards version today.
The blender function works very well, optimum buy design, more like a powerful immersion or stick blender,
with its 3inch/70mm serrated blade, it rotates at about 20mm above the base of the stainless steel jug. It only blends in 20second bursts,
obviously to protect the motor, something I've never come across before, but can easily live with.
Lots of choice of cheaper blenders out there.

Had a load of fun with this kit today, a really good new tool, for doing the same old thing.
Made 3 batches of Garabi, refining my recipes to suit the machine.
I also made a Carrot and Coriander soup without recipe, that was pure class, better than any I have bought in a restaurant or out of a carton or can.

Very impressed, with my new toy :D

cheers Chewy

Thanks for this review Chewy. I have just ordered mine. Look forward to your "downsized" recipe, so I can give it a try here... otherwise I'll downsize my own base recipe. :)

Potentially it could even get you closer to a restaurant taste if you're using fresh base gravy each day (as restaurants do).

we can also assume cooking in volume can contribute to the final flavour and this method would be a limiting factor in that sense; Similarly, we should not assume all BIRs start their day making fresh gravy. Sometimes this is made the day before or so. I also find it hard to believe all BIRs will go through the whole batch of gravy in a day without waste...or do they just top up? :)

chewy, bob, our most informed men, clarify from your experience!

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 02:57 PM »
Further testing with this kit, the 20second blend function has quickly become annoying,
Made three, fresh one touch soup recipes, one chunky, all very good.

Tried to make a more complex Garabi and It couldn't cope with a double cook.
But still, a very clean and easy way to make a simple first cook and blend Garabi.

Shame it didn't have a simmer or keep warm feature and a few more manual controls, rather than presets.

Anyhoo, Worth the spend for the fun value alone.
AussieMick and MT must have a great time cooking with their expensive machines.

cheers Chewy

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 03:07 PM »
What particularly is it not good for? And, how exactly is the 20sec limitation? Is it that it blends for 20sec and stops. How long do you have to wait for it to blend another 20 secs?

Also, out of curiosity, did you buy the old (800w) or the new one (1000w) ?

The supplier from the amazon marketplace was out of stock, so my purchase didn't ensue. I was going to pick one up from a local supplier that states on their website it's the 800w for 59eur, but upon calling them, they confirm it is in fact the 1000w (I called to confirm). They have a very good price, better than directly quoted by morphy richards.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 03:38 PM »
It's model FP48822CUK REV2 -- Made in China  ;D isn't everything ;D

Yes it blends for 20secs, rests for 5secs then goes again.

Does this 6 times I think, in auto smooth soup mode.

When you set it to blend mode only, you have to keep your finger on the button and after 20secs
it does the same and stops for a breather.

Not ideal, as a blender Gongalo. As sold, its a soup maker with a blend function.
probably better off looking at other products.

cheers Chewy
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:14 AM by chewytikka »

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Chewy I would happily give you ago of my themo
Shame you don't live closer  :)
I'd  say it is more for the serious cook as it can do so many things and you can  set the temperature at different settings
 Chewy I think you would have more imagination than me and get a bit more use out of it  :)
Cheers MT

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 04:09 AM »
Chewy I think you would have more imagination than me and get a bit more use out of it  :)
Cheers MT

Same here Michael.

I originally bought my machine for home use, but when we got the shop, it was moved up there.

Now it's life is spent making Peshawari mix, grinding garam masala, chopping garlic and ginger etc.

I do make the occasional pumpkin soup or minestrone for a change from curry, but it is capable of so much more. The steamer attachment is still in it's original packaging...lol...

I have also made small base gravies with subtle changes to make comparisons, but i am back now to the original one.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 12:40 PM »
Thanks for the offer and the kind words MT
I very rarely cook for the freezer, but if I don't watch out I'm going to have to buy a spare freezer for soup and garabi experiments.

Off to buy more veg. ::)
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes