Author Topic: Curry powder or Restaurant Curry Masala  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Curry powder or Restaurant Curry Masala
« on: November 14, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Whilst checking out the ingredients for Bassar Curry masala, I came across Rajah mild Madras curry powder. I checked out the ingredients and all the usual suspects were in there, coriander, turmeric, mustard, Bengal gram, cumin, chilli, fenugreek, pepper, garlic, salt, fennel, poppy seeds and curry leaf.

I then spotted this :o,

Ingredients:
Chilli, Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, Paprika

Now, I've never seen this stocked on any of the Asian supermarket shelves, that I frequent.  This to me, is a very basic but still, a restaurant type masala.

Has anybody seen it, used it, and if so, what was the results?  Is it worth doing away with all the complicated spice blends, mine included, and buying a huge bag of this stuff? :-\

Any thoughts guys? ???

Ray :)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curry powder or Restaurant Curry Masala
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Hello razor,

I have used it and my Asian grocers stock it, Its very nice and I know this ain't Indian food but I used it in the Chinese authentic paste recipe and it came out spot on , I know the Chinese recipe should be using eastern star but it worked a treat, never actually looked at the ingredients on the back of the packet

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:35 PM »
Hi Gaz,

Yeah, it just seems a very basic mix and makes me wonder if rajah are trying to produce a "restaurant" style mixed powder to sell to the BIR's/TA's?

I'll give ait a go.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:54 PM »
As you say Razor this could be one of any number of spice mix powder mentioned on this (and another similar) site. I suppose the proportions may be slightly different?

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Seen this at my local Asian grocers.

I think it's just a basic mix for the home cook.

Kind of 'Desi Curry Powder' as opposed to 'Madras' curry powder (which is mixed for western tastes)

The ingredients look fairly typical of Northern/Punjabi cooking, which is known for using relatively few spices.

With Chilli being the first ingredient I doubt very much it's aimed at the restaurant trade.

Gary

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Hi Gary,

With Chilli being the first ingredient I doubt very much it's aimed at the restaurant trade.

Yeah, I see what you mean, chilli being the first ingredient you would expect it to be the highest percentage of the 5 list. That is unless they are of equal amounts?

Still, it might be worth giving it a go though?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Hi Gaz,

Yeah, it just seems a very basic mix and makes me wonder if rajah are trying to produce a "restaurant" style mixed powder to sell to the BIR's/TA's?

I'll give ait a go.

Hi Razor,

I have just reverted back to taz's spice mix which is about 5 ingredients and is pretty basic, but I find it's more than enough for what I want to achieve. I'll be interested to see you're results once you have tried this :)

Nice Find Mate!! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes