Author Topic: Muttley's basic sauce - Non rambling version  (Read 11282 times)

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Muttley's basic sauce - Non rambling version
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 10:05 PM »
well I'm glad to say that it's worked out great, in fact the sauce looks as near as d*mmit to this authentic one http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=347.0

Tastes & smells good too. I added a medium carrot to the mix and half a green pepper - tastes great on it's own, and I reckon even minimal spicing would produce a good resaurant style curry with this sauce.

Chicken Madras and methi gosht for supper tomorrow, will post the results.

Thanks Muttley :)

Gary

Offline Muttley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 02:28 PM »
well I'm glad to say that it's worked out great, in fact the sauce looks as near as d*mmit to this authentic one http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=347.0

Tastes & smells good too. I added a medium carrot to the mix and half a green pepper - tastes great on it's own, and I reckon even minimal spicing would produce a good resaurant style curry with this sauce.

Chicken Madras and methi gosht for supper tomorrow, will post the results.

Thanks Muttley :)

Gary
You're welcome.

I must admit that I haven't been here for quite some time :(, and it was rather freaky to see this thread had been added to so recently.

If you look at the rambling version, you'll see that I mention that I'm a little dubious about the need to add tomatoes, and I now always have some with and some without. Certain curries just don't need the extra redness that the tomatoes add.

I make this up in big batches and freeze it in coleslaw containers.

I've also tried adding a little celery with the onions at the start, and although it moves it away from authenticity, I like the (very small) difference it creates.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 02:54 PM »
Hi Muttley,

Welcome back its been about year since your last post  :o

I know you were never a big fan of the BIR curry but have you picked up any new info or tips since you've been away  ;)

Cheers
cK
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 02:56 PM by Curry King »

Offline Muttley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 03:45 PM »
Welcome back its been about year since your last post? :o

Yes, I've been away quite a bit, and I do tend to spend far too much time on the 'net once I get going? ::)

I know you were never a big fan of the BIR curry but have you picked up any new info or tips since you've been away? ;)

Actually, I love BIR curries, it was just that when I first came here I'd been having a lot of success with Indian homestyle cooking, and less with getting a good BIR, so wondered if perhaps we were getting unnecessarily fixated on BIR curries (especially when there are so many great resturaunts in which to eat them :)).

However, I must admit, that now I have a good sauce technique, I do tend to use it because not matter how many wonderful homestyle recipies you make, there's nothing quite like a BIR.

I haven't really got any particular tips. I'd just say to anyone who's trying to cook good Indian food to stick at it, because the satisfaction of creating a really great meal, BIR, homestyle, or a mixture of the two, is considerable.

Offline billybob

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 12:58 PM »
hi,im new to this forum,i have been striving to find a decent base for ages! gotta say your sauce is the closest i have come to a bir. do you know if its better to use ghee,or veg oil?

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 06:39 PM »
Hi Billybob,

Welcome to the site.

I think Muttley tends to frequent the forum on a yearly basis rather than daily so not sure if you will get a response, in his absence I would say stick with the veg oil.

cK

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 09:25 AM »
This curry sauce has always had my seal of approval, i can recommend giving this one a go guys.

Welcome back Mutley, hope you hang around!

Stew

Offline billybob

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 11:27 AM »
thanks for the reply ck,i have just cooked ravjer's vindaloo with muttleys paste,it ended up fantastic! im so glad i've found this site,even though i will probably put on 4 stone  ;D

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 06:38 PM »
Hi could you tell me what madras(final stage) recipe you used for this sauce
regards andy

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 03:27 PM »
Added some pics of this base sauce http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1780.0 that i made today, its looking really good.

Stew ;D ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes