Author Topic: I think we should have a 'product review' section.  (Read 6938 times)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
I think we should have a 'product review' section.
« on: November 26, 2005, 11:02 AM »
I finally decided to get some vegetable ghee and I remembered there being a few discussions in the past, saying not to buy certain brands as they stink. So I tried to search for ghee, and while I've found what I want, what a faff it was. So I thought, wouldn't it have been much simpler if those posts recommending a particular product were in a separate section. It would have made my search that much easier and it would make this forum even more useful.

So here's two to start with:

Tesco brand Lime Pickle - Lovely stuff, superbly limey without being bitter and with nice sized, whole pieces of lime. Easily compares to Patak's, which is my favourite.

Sharwood's Plain Naans - I have not bought naans from a supermarket since I bought some a few years ago and found them like hard bread, really poor quality and nothing like a restaurant naan. So imagine my surprise when I decided to give these a go, actually only because they are 50% free at Tesco at the moment. The packet says sprinkle with water and grill, but I found that best results were achieved by liberally soaking the naan on both sides under a running tap. You then grill for a couple of minutes on either side.

Wow!, what a difference to what I remember of old. They were soft and slightly buttery. They compared favourably to an average naan from a restuarant in flavour and softness and are about half the size of a restaurant naan and so go well with a half portion of rice. Will probably be perfect once I have some ghee to butter them with...Very nice. Recommended.

Can the moderators ask stu to add this 'product review' section if enough people consider this a good idea please?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 11:17 AM by Yellow Fingers »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: I think we should have a 'product review' section.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 12:06 PM »
M&S Nan Bread - Cooked in a tandoor, tastes almost as good as a takeaway nan, most other supermarket nans are rubbish

Offline DeeDee

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 01:32 PM »
PATAK'S Sweet Mango Chutney.  Perfect sweet chutney with big chewy chunks, warm color and a spicy zing!

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Great idea!!

Tesco Healthy Living plain mini naans - They only have 1 g fat in them instead of the usual 10-12 in a larger one.  May take 3 of the smaller ones to equal size of larger one ( so 3g fat or so)  but they are so soft and yummier than any other brand so far I tried!!  Hard to believe they are healthy.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 03:30 PM »
Hi paast10

I bet you could slim down to half your weight eating those! I suppose that would make you 'half paast10'.? ?;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 03:32 PM by Yellow Fingers »

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 04:14 PM »
That was pretty good I must admit :P

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 05:13 PM »
YF - get your coat

;)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Ahmed Pickles
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Lime, Chillie and Mixed Picle are all brilliant
Very oily, salty (watch out for the mango stones) and absolutely, unhealthily delicious!
See
http://www.ahmedfood.com.pk/bin/prodList.asp?catId=11
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 09:53 AM by pete »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 10:13 AM »
Here's a large tub of the cooking oil I suggest we should all be using. After all, so many BIRs use this stuff, why use anything else if you're after the BIR taste? This particular tub was unceremoniously dumped outside an Indian restaurant I happened to pass in London:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Regards
George

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 10:18 AM »
Hi George
               That was the oil I reported, from my Nottingham demo, under "other observations"
That stuff is everywhere
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=536.0
I wonder if it comes in a small container?

©2024 Curry Recipes