Author Topic: Gosht Ohmuri  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Izz

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Gosht Ohmuri
« on: November 18, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a recipe for Gosht Ohmuri which is one of my favourite dishes at two Indian restaurants I go to in Leeds. Its a dish made with pomegranate and lime. I want the recipe because I am planning on moving to the US soon and they are rather inadequate when it comes to curry!

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Gosht Ohmuri
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Hi Izz,

closest i can find is just a description from a handful of restaurants from yorkshire.
Gost Ohmuri                                                                                                         
Tender lamb cooked with cardamom pods and bay leaves with
roasted Indian potatoes in our very own Balti style.
This dish has a spicy but mouth watering taste.

but from what you describe sounds like a regional variation on a pathia.?
sorry, cant really help much further than that.
cheers, frank. ;)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Hi Izz,

Based on what Dalpuri has found out about the dish, it kind of sounds like a hybrid of a rogan josh, balti and bombay aloo :o :o :o

Can you give us a bit more, for instance; does it have a high quantity of onion, tomatoes, whole chillies and so on.  Have you ever come across any whole spices in the dish such as; cardamom, bay leaf(I know it's a herb) clove?...

The more you can give us, the better chance there is of some other members coming across your dish, albeit by a different name.

Ray :)

Offline Izz

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 06:19 PM »
I'm in America right now or I would use this as an excuse to go out and order it! I'll just have to do it all by memory. I did check their menus online but unfortunately they don't seem to have the right menus for the restaurants which serve it.

There is definitely no cardamom or potato in it and I'm pretty certain no bay leaves or cloves. I don't remember it being particularly having a lot of onion or tomato. I do remember it being a pretty brown dish, very fragrant with the lime being a major smell but more quite savoury. The lime was also a pretty dominant flavour with the lamb and the dish is not a very spicy one.

I'll see if I can get a friend back home to go order it before I get back and send me a description with more detail.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 01:05 AM »
I'm in America right now or I would use this as an excuse to go out and order it! I'll just have to do it all by memory. I did check their menus online but unfortunately they don't seem to have the right menus for the restaurants which serve it.

There is definitely no cardamom or potato in it and I'm pretty certain no bay leaves or cloves. I don't remember it being particularly having a lot of onion or tomato. I do remember it being a pretty brown dish, very fragrant with the lime being a major smell but more quite savoury. The lime was also a pretty dominant flavour with the lamb and the dish is not a very spicy one.

I'll see if I can get a friend back home to go order it before I get back and send me a description with more detail.

Hi Izz
Your description sounds more like a Jaflong Gosht.
The sauce is flavoured with a citrus fruit, (Shatkora) unique to Sylhet, Bangladesh.
It has a flavour similar to Lemon/Lime with a savoury edge.
The names given to Chef's speciality dishes, vary up and down the country, so it is possible that this is the dish you like.
cheers Chewy

Offline Izz

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 04:32 AM »
Sounds like progress! Do you have a recipe for it or a link to one? Regardless of if its the right dish it sounds like a nice one. Any advice on substitution for Shatkora?

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Sounds like progress! Do you have a recipe for it or a link to one? Regardless of if its the right dish it sounds like a nice one. Any advice on substitution for Shatkora?

Hi Izz
There is no substitute for Shatkora, like I said its unique and the whole point of the curry.

Depending on your curry making skill level, just add 2/3 slices of Shatkora after a Tarka, with the meat and cook out for 6-10 minutes.

Abdul Mohed posted this restaurant "staff curry", using Shatkora

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5929.msg58657#msg58657

cheers Chewy

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Chewy you are a veritable currypedia - what does Shatkora look and taste like?

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 12:10 PM »
Chewy you are a veritable currypedia - what does Shatkora look and taste like?
Hi Stephen
Explained here mate,in the same link.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5929.msg58669#msg58669
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes