Author Topic: Keeping fresh garlic  (Read 8269 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Keeping fresh garlic
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Hi All :)
I put up a thread as to storing garlic( worked fine for me) and have been advised of the possible down sides so I have removed it to be safe
Thanks Paul
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:05 PM by noble ox »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping fresh garlic
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:43 AM »
The following is copied from one of many web sites that inform you of the danger of garlic and botulism.

Garlic Oil

Fresh garlic and oil are a dangerous combination if left at room temperature. Because of garlic?s low acidity and oil?s lack of oxygen, they can cause botulism toxin to develop. However, peeled cloves of garlic can be added to oil and stored in the freezer for several months.

It's ok to freeze the jars!

Cheers,

Paul

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 04:34 PM »
I'm interested by this as its news to me that there may be a botulism risk associated with garlic (a pointer to how little I know really!). Can anyone clarify the circumstances under which this risk arises? Eg is there any risk in keeping garlic bulbs in the fridge past their sell by date?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 04:56 PM »
I'm interested by this as its news to me that there may be a botulism risk associated with garlic (a pointer to how little I know really!). Can anyone clarify the circumstances under which this risk arises? Eg is there any risk in keeping garlic bulbs in the fridge past their sell by date?

I am probably the last person you should listen to when it comes to health hazards, Natterjak, but I can say in all honesty that the garlic bulbs that I buy /have/ no "sell by" date, and I keep them, and use them, unrefrigerated, until they are so dry that they are no longer of any use.  To be honest, I have never heard of anyone refrigerating garlic bulbs : garlic puree, yes; a half-used clove, yes (wrapped in clingfilm) but a whole bulb : never.

** Phil.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 05:48 PM »
I made garlic puree with oil 4 months ago and have only just finished using it :o.  I did store it in the fridge though :D.  That's not to say it's a good idea.  Will all "sages" contribute so we can understand more and the risks we run and why we should or shouldn't do it please.  We can then all internalise the info and each make our own mind up as to the way forward with our garlic puree making or not  :-\.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Just try a google search for garlic and botulism. It's fine to store garlic bulbs or cloves in a normal cupboard and they'll eventually dry out or go mouldy but no risk of you getting botulism poisoning.

The problem is that botulism is an anaerobic bacteria, it doesn't like air and won't grow unless you take the air away.
A good way to remove the air is to put garlic in oil. Combine that with room temperature and you have the perfect environment for rapid botulism growth.

The fact is that the botulism spores come from soil and are quite rare nowadays so unless there are spores on your garlic when you buy it you won't have a problem - but you'll never know.

I only posted because I was concerned that Noble ox was putting himself and everybody he feeds at risk.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Hi

With regards to garlic bulbs/cloves, Home grown or non chilled bulbs is best stored somewhere where there is good ventilation to prevent mould, fairly dark as the light encourages the garlic to sprout and the air does not want to be moist as this adds to the chance of mould so not the fridge!!!!  Garlic should keep for 6 to 12 months like this as long as it is not supermarket bought garlic as it has usually been chill stored which causes early sprouting when exposed to room temp.

Not sure about the science of storing in oil.  I keep my garlic ginger paste for no more than 4 weeks in the fridge as I have noticed the taste change after this time.

Regards

Barry

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 06:29 PM »
So it really depends on the very faint odds  of the garlic cloves i buy having botulism spores on them :-\.  If they do i've given 'em the perfect breeding ground and we've got one sick curryhell :(.  So there is obviously potential, albeit very remote and the liklihood very minimal.  That's a pretty small risk factor.  However, everyone should be aware of it and make their owned informed choice which people can now do.  Thanks for the info which can now be shared by all who ask the question.  You learn something every day 8)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 09:25 PM »
This seems like a sensible link:

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1542272

If the figures are to be believed only about 30 Americans contract botulism per year and only 1.5 (average) die from it. The population is about 300 million so you've probably got more change of winning the lottery.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 09:36 PM »
This seems like a sensible link:

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1542272

If the figures are to be believed only about 30 Americans contract botulism per year and only 1.5 (average) die from it. The population is about 300 million so you've probably got more change of winning the lottery.

Cheers,

Paul
Odds are that I'll get away with bad practice then ;D. But all are entitled to make an informed decision which they now can. By the way the lamb was first class and am looking forward to doing my first lamb curry ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes