Author Topic: oil re-use confusion  (Read 4678 times)

Offline vin daloo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
oil re-use confusion
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:42 PM »
Hi all, 
Next base i make im going to start re-using the oil.  The question i have is how long is it safe to keep the skimmed oil and small amount of base, as one batch of base sauce can last a while unless you feed the family curry 3 times a day. do you scale down the base so you make it more often or something?  My head's gone.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: oil re-use confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 07:17 PM »
The base I now use only does ~2 curries and seeing as I reuse the last of the base when making a new base thats only 2 weeks for me, I have been reusing oil like this for about a month now

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 08:38 PM »
Hi Mark
         Do you think you are getting the "taste" into it now?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 09:13 PM »
I think so, but it is so difficult to tell when you cook the curries yourself  ;D One things for sure, the chicken achar in my cracked it thread is the best curry I have ever cooked and I can reproduce it perfectly every time

Offline vin daloo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 11:11 AM »
The base I now use only does ~2 curries and seeing as I reuse the last of the base when making a new base thats only 2 weeks for me, I have been reusing oil like this for about a month now
What, your base only makes 2 currys??  And how doesnt the leftover base go rancid after 2 weeks?

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 01:33 PM »
Yes the base makes ~2 curries for 2 people (4 portions), I always recook when I have 2 portions left though so the initilal base makes 1 curry (for 2) plus 2 portions to go into the next base, each base from then on makes 6 portions (when you add the reserved 2 portions).

I freeze what is left over

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 09:56 PM »
Hi Mark J,

I take it that the base you are using is the David Smith one.

I have been using this myself recently and have excellent results but haven't had a go at your version of the achar with re-used oil yet, but I will shortly.

I will post how I get on.

Cheers,

Blondie

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 10:11 PM »
I take it that the base you are using is the David Smith one.
I have been using this myself recently and have excellent results.

Hi Blondie,

I know you have recommended the David Smith base before.
I have made the original base of his before and thought it was quite similar to the KD base. Is the base on the premium site that much different from the original to warrant the joining fee and does it have many more recipes on offer.
For the price it doesn't seem a bad? buy particularly if you are having some success.

Ray

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 10:11 PM »
Hi Blondie,

Yes indeed it is a modified version of Dave Smiths base from the premium area of his site, checkout the cracked it thread, I have had superb results!

cheers

Mark

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 10:13 PM »
Hi Ray,

It is well worth it, loads of recipes (way more than kushi), it has recipes for the full indian menu

Yes the base in the premium area is different from the public one (check out my cracked it thread for my slightly modified version of it)

cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes