Author Topic: Food colouring  (Read 3549 times)

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Food colouring
« on: November 26, 2011, 05:38 AM »
Looking through the ingredients for 976Bar's Chicken Madras recipe posted in the Main Dishes thread, I noticed that he used 'a pinch of orange food colouring' added into the Madras.
Do members know whether this is something used by the BIRs/TAs.....presumably to enhance the 'look' of the dish, and if so, how effective is it???
al.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Food colouring
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 03:23 PM »
Looking through the ingredients for 976Bar's Chicken Madras recipe posted in the Main Dishes thread, I noticed that he used 'a pinch of orange food colouring' added into the Madras.
Do members know whether this is something used by the BIRs/TAs.....presumably to enhance the 'look' of the dish, and if so, how effective is it???
al.

Yes,Orange food Colouring is used  in BIR's and Onion Bhaji's are favorite plus anything else where the vivid Orange colour improves the presentation and a pinch goes a looong way especially if you get it on your Hands  :o

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:15 PM »
been looking for powdered food colouring in Morrisons etc with no joy.
where do you buy the stuff ???

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 07:05 PM »
been looking for powdered food colouring in Morrisons etc with no joy.
where do you buy the stuff ???
Mr M our supermarkets only do the liquid stuff normally, down the baking aisle.  Asian grocers always have it in abundance, in little asaprin size containers or in large red plastic tubs. The later will last you half your curry cooking life and is better value of course;D

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Cheers CH
I'm gonna go to massive asian supermarket down my way tomorrow and stock up on loads of goodies :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Cheers CH
I'm gonna go to massive asian supermarket down my way tomorrow and stock up on loads of goodies :)

Enjoy mr M.  We all do it occasionally and oh what fun it is ;D.  I treated myself to a trip down Green Street in East Ham the other week and got  a few goodies 8) 8)

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 08:19 PM »
theres an asian supermarket here @ 60,000 sq ft..allegedly the biggest in Scotland
better watch or the wallet is getting hammered..again

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 04:38 AM »
Mr M......I'm several shades of green with envy.  60,000 sq. ft??!!  My nearest is a small shop area of about 200 sq. ft. near the Sikh Temple!!

Thanks for the comments on the food colour guys.  I can go along with the Onion Bhajis, but never heard of it being added to a Madras before.

Cheers
al.

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Can anyone advise on what dishes require red food colouring. Meant to buy orange & realised when I got home it was red! ::)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Chicken tikka? Pilau rice? Umm,.,  I'm out.

©2024 Curry Recipes