Author Topic: Cut out the curry base?  (Read 2722 times)

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Cut out the curry base?
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:55 AM »
Here is a trick that I use to save having to cook a base sauce.

I cook onion wedges in some sunflower oil in a frying pan. Firstly on a high heat then I turn down the heat and I cook until the onions go very soft and translucent (which adds a sweetness).

I then take out the onions and use the oil to cook my curry as normal.

During the process, I use some pasata and add some finely grated carrot into the sauce.

Near to the end, I add the cooked onions back in to the curry.

My favourite food to add - spinach (drain and rinse from a can), frozen prawns and frozen peas to the sauce, with sliced boiled egg on top. This combination is really stunning.

I serve with plain boiled Tilda Pure Basmati Rice.

I am now wondering whether I could add some Pakora / Onion bhaji flour mix to the oil when I add the garlic, ginger etc. as that might give the taste of onion bhaji oil?

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Cut out the curry base?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:12 PM »
If you use the oven method you can cut out the curry base with great results  ;)

Offline RutlandCurryking

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 07:47 AM »
After years of experimenting I have found a great and simple way to cut out any base. I simply blitz a tin of carrots in the blender!!! This makes a very cheap, very easy healthy and attractive looking natural orange puree. I add this to the pan after frying off some onions, garlic, ginger, peppers, meat etc then add tomatoes tomato puree and best quality bought curry paste or spices, extras like coconut cream etc can be added later. Try this, a delicious curry can be knocked up in half an hour. PS...I usually need a little stock or water to thin the sauce.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:17 AM »
Hi RutlandCurryking

Meant in the nicest possible way, what you describe does indeed sound like it would make a tasty curry - but the list of ingredients and preparation make the effort involved sound no less than actually making some base gravy anyway?

Welcome to the forum BTW :)

Cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes