Author Topic: CA's Madras  (Read 4676 times)

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
CA's Madras
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thought I would share my recent CA Madras made with CA Base and Spice Mix

Bloody Lovely

PS. Does this look about the right amount of oil / separation?

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Madras
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Hi

Oil/separation looks good, good work! 

My only comment from the pictures would be that it looks a bit runny still?  Reducing the base down to the correct consistency is one of the key steps in producing a tasty curry as it reduces the water content left in the dish which increases the flavour concentration.

Keep up the good work with the pics!

regards

Barry

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:22 AM »
 ;D.  Great result bmb.  I'm sure CA will be pleased with your efforts.  I see you like a bit of the green stuff too :D.  As for texture, thick or thin is a matter of personal choice, mine being the former.   But as bamble says  you need some heavy reduction a couple of times to get the depth of flavour in there before you add the last of the gravy.  You've made me hungry.  I think i'm going to have the remants of last nights naga chicken for breakfast. 8)

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:02 PM »
Thanks guys.

I think it looks a bit runny as I didn't want to waste any of the 400ml base and was worried that if I reduced it for too long I might overcook the chicken.

When a recipe specifies 300ml of base is this what you guys freeze it in? or do you leave some or add more?

Also in order to get the oil to separate at the end do you just leave the pan? I was worried that if I left it for 10 minutes as CA's Madras recipe states it would make the chicken dry.

The GF has one of those HD hand-held camcorders that I bought for her Birthday (Kodak Playsport) so might get a recording of our next curry to see if anyone can give any pointers.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Hi bmb

Looks great. 8)

I can only speak for myself, but I now only freeze in multiples of 300ml (or 3 ladlefulls).
So no waste anymore, as I believe most recipes only call for or need that much.

Martin

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:02 PM »
Hi

If it asks for 300ml, I freeze 300ml.  Oil should separate as it comes to the end of the cooking process.  I know what you mean about overcooking the chicken.  Are you using pre cooked?  If not you could leave the chicken in bigger pieces to cook.  Do you pre brown the chicken?

Video of the curry is a good idea.  Plenty here to give you positive feedback on your technique :)

Regards

Barry

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 06:21 PM »
That looks really good bmouthboyo, did it taste as good as it looks.
Great effort...well done.

Stew

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:03 PM »
It tasted amazing thanks Admin :) I can't believe how much easier it was measuring the spices out etc before hand in separate little tubs. Sounds a bit OCD bit made it so much easier and allowed time for me to really see what was going on and how the curry was changing.

The chicken was not pre cooked and was quickly sealed as in CA's madras recipe, very moist and to be honest as good as when I have pre cooked as KD in the past.

I think I will try and freeze in 300ml tubs in future as whenever I cook it's for me and the gf. Thanks for all the feedback guys and will let you know when I post a video of my next curry :)

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 05:55 PM »

Tonights tea

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Any more of that??  I'll be round in 5 ;D.  Well done timeless.  That's made my mind up, i'll be letting the  local cook my tea tonight but i'll get the gear out for curry tomorrow.  How did it compare to your normal?

©2024 Curry Recipes