Author Topic: The Balti Kitchen DVD?s ? 1st Attempt at The Base  (Read 18193 times)

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
The Balti Kitchen DVD?s ? 1st Attempt at The Base
« on: November 28, 2005, 12:00 AM »
This is my first recipe from the above discs, kindly sent to me by raygraham, many thanks.

I watched both discs a couple of times to familiarise myself with the techniques.

I?m going to make a Chicken Tikka Balti

I was running low on some ingredients, the main item I needed was menthi (spelling as from DVD);  I assumed this was ground fenugreek leaves.  I?d recently thrown out a jar so needed more.  While scouring the shelves for more items to buy I actually found some powdered methi, so used this instead of buying the leaves and grinding them myself.
Interesting note though the powdered methi is actually yellow, looks like cornmeal.

I still believe that the ginger should be used whole, I have a screen grab from the disc which I will post to gauge opinion.

I broke from the DVD instructions in some ways:

I added 500ml of oil to the onion boiling at the beginning (DVD states 2 tbsp)
I boiled it for the required time then pureed the whole lot.
Thought I?d made a big mistake though in not removing the oil before blending as the when the blended mixture was returned to the pan no oil was evident at all.

I added the rest of the base ingredients as directed, :) the oil started to come to the surface after heating for a short time.

I skimmed oil off for 20 or so minutes and got back around 300ml
This is as far as I have gone to at the moment; I?ll be making the remaining items tomorrow for our evening meal.

The chicken Tikka is made as per the DVD.

The base actually tastes nice at this stage and has a much better consistency than the KD base.  My partner tasted it and she thought it had much more depth of flavour than the KD base too.

I?ve left the base off the heat now for over an hour and yet more oil is coming to the surface, I will skim this off tomorrow before making the final dish.

The smell of the raw base cooking was much less noticeable this time; I can only assume the oil creates a barrier reducing the smell.

I personally don?t mind the smell and my partner copes with it as she knows it?s the prelude to a curry, (sound like a good name for a pop group)

I will post the outcome of the recipe tomorrow evening.

I agree with Ray that watching the curry being cooked gives a much better idea of how things should look.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Balti Kitchen DVD?s ? 1st Attempt at The Base
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:16 AM »
Hi Ian,

Nice write-up.
I think we are all getting the idea that more oil is not such a bad thing after all. As you say it does seperate out and can be skimmed off. The main point is the resultant oil has such a wonderful depth of flavour given by the base sauce that it then adds loads more to the next curry you make and so on.
I reclaimed the oil from the Kushi book recipe yesterday ( after adding more then it said ) and the flavour is brilliant!

There is a debate as to whether the "Menthi" is powdered or leaf. Looking at the video it could possibly be powdered as it looks too light in colour for the leaf variety. I use the leaf myself. The Kushi book uses Fenugreek Seeds in it's base.
The fact you have got a good base shows it doesn't make so much difference.

I actually made a Chicken Tikka Masala yesterday from the DVD. The only addition I made was adding about a quarter of a block of Coconut. It was really super. This recipe for CTM is a fair winner for me.

Good Cooking

Ray

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 01:40 PM »
This base looks much more promising than the KD one, maybe because it's got less water (not sure on this as don't have KD base recipe to hand) but the flavours seem much fuller.

Definitely looking forward to this evenings meal.

Have decided to make a CTM for Jane and a CT Balti for myself.

Did you think the measures for the spices in the video looked a little larger than those in the instructions?

Some of them looked as though a heaped spoon must have been used.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 02:39 PM »
Hi Ian,

Yes, I see what you are saying but I used measures as per instructions using a set of measuring spoons.
Mind you, when you watch Indian chefs at work they either pick up amounts in their hand or use the tip of a large spoon so accuracy doesn't seem to be so vital for them. Make the dishes as you see and you can always adjust things the next time round if you think they need it.

Have a nice meal and let us know what you think.

Regards

Ray

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 03:24 PM »
Have spent more time today skimming off the oil and I have to say at this stage it's the best base I've ever made.

I could happily eat it with very little else added.

I can taste the black pepper which is giving it a nice bit of warmth in the throat.

Sorry I'm posting so much but I really haven't been so excited about a base since my 1st go at a KD base many years ago.

This has got something about it.

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 03:40 PM »
Is it possible to some of you have tried the recipes from the Balti Kitchen DVDs to post the recipes?  I am especially interested in the CTM recipe from there.
Thanks.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Hi Ian,

I am sure there are quite a few on this site who share your excitment and enthusiasm over a new venture.
I for one have always been excited trying a new base, method or recipe and amongst the disasters and dissapointments there have been some memorable curries.

You will find the base reduces down even more in the final dish and gives it a thicker texture with a slightly more intense flavour.
My sauce, pre-cooked meat and final dishes all looked just like they do on the video and ?I am certain you will get the compliments you deserve for your efforts.
The rice ( if you like rice ) from this video is just like you get at the take-away, nicely aromatic and the addition of the butter gives it that extra something.
Don't forget to consider adding some block coconut to the CTM if you are bold. I find it lifts the dish from very nice to near perfect. The kids love that one!

Regards

Ray

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 03:59 PM »
Is it possible to some of you have tried the recipes from the Balti Kitchen DVDs to post the recipes??
Payal

Hi Payal,

I have some of the discs copied as a document including Base Sauce, Pre-cooked Chicken and the Balti Chicken recipe. I will type up the Chicken Tikka and then CTM recipe tonight and post it on the site or P.M. you.

In the meantime you can have a DVD copy if you want to P.M. me.

Regards

Ray

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 04:46 PM »
Hi Payal and everyone.
As asked for here are the recipes from the Balti Kitchen Video

The Balti Kitchen Video Base Sauce

INGREDIENTS

Makes 8 Servings

Note:- Watch ALL measurements carefully, ie Teaspoons, Tablespoons? and Dessertspoons!!

STAGE ONE

2 ? Lbs Onions, peeled and roughly chopped
1 Bulb Garlic, peeled and separated into cloves
1 Dessertspoon Salt
2 ozs Ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
2 Tbsps Vegetable Oil
2 ? Pts Water

METHOD

Put Ginger and Garlic Cloves into a blender with 1 cup of the water.
Blend for 30 secs.
Put Onions in a large heavy pan. Add Garlic, Ginger puree.
Add the Oil, Salt and remaining water.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
When cool blend a little at a time until it is a smooth creamy texture (important!).
Ladle off TWO cupfuls and set to one side. ( Used in pre-cooking method ).

STAGE TWO

INGREDIENTS

1 Small Tin ChoppedTomatoes
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
1 Dessertspoon Paprika
1 Tbsp Turmeric
1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 Dessertspoon Garam Masala

METHOD

Into the Onion Mix add the Tomatoes, Oil, Turmeric and Tomato Puree.
Place back on heat and bring to the boil. Add Paprika, Black Pepper and Garam Masala.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
Remove any residue that rises to the surface and stir frequently.
This is the BASE SAUCE and will keep refrigerated for 3 days or freeze.

PRE-COOKED CHICKEN

4 Large Chicken Breasts
1 Dessertspoon Turmeric
1 Dessertspoon Salt
1 Dessertspoon Paprika
1 Dessertspoon Garam Masala
1 Dessertspoon Tomato Puree
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Cups reserved Onion Mix (from above).

METHOD

Cut Chicken Breasts into large cubes (about 6 pieces per breast )
Into a large pan add the Oil and Reserved Onion Mix, bring to the boil.
Lower heat and add Tomato Puree, Turmeric, Garam Masala and Salt.
Cover with a splatter guard and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add Chicken and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The cooked chicken can then be used in recipes immediately or frozen.

BALTI CHICKEN

INGREDIENTS

6 or 7 pieces of Pre-Cooked Chicken
1 ? Cups of BASE SAUCE
1 Dessertspoon Vegetable Oil
? Teaspoon Garam Masala
 Pinch Methi? Leaves
Quarter of a Green Pepper cut into six
Quarter of an Onion
1 Clove crushed Garlic
1 Teaspoon crushed Ginger
1 Tbsp chopped Coriander
1 Pinch Paprika
3 Sliced freshTomatoes

METHOD

Into a frying pan or Karahi add Oil and heat
Add Ginger and Garlic on a high heat and stir briskly
Add Pepper and Onion
Add BASE SAUCE, bring to the boil
Add Garam Masala, Paprika and Methi
Stir frequently for 5 minutes
Add Pre-Cooked Chicken
Cook on a low heat for 3 minutes.
When cooked add Tomatoes and chopped Coriander

FOR MADRAS ADD TWO CHOPPED CHILIES OR ONE TEASPOON CHILIE POWDER

CHICKEN TIKKA

INGREDIENTS

2 Chicken Breasts, cut into 8 pieces each
1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
1 Pinch Methi Leaves
? Teaspoon Salt
1 Pinch Deep Orange Colouring
1 Dessertspoon Concentrated Mint Sauce
1 Tbsp Plain Yogurt
1 Teaspoon Fresh ginger, Crushed
1 Teaspoon Fresh Garlic, Crushed
1 Tbsp Veg Oil

METHOD

Add Chicken to a bowl and add ALL the other ingredients. Mix well and leave to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour.
Put Chicken on to skewers and lay across a baking dish so that the Chicken is suspended and not in contact with anything.
Heat Oven to maximum. Cook Chicken for 10-12 mins
Serve

CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA

INGREDIENTS

8 pieces of cooked Chicken Tikka from above
1 ? cups of Base Sauce
1 Tbsp Veg Oil
2 Tbsps Single Cream
1 Dessertspoon Plain Yogurt
1 Teaspoon Concentrated Mint Sauce
? pinch Deep Orange Food Colouring
1 Dessertspoon Fresh Coriander, Chopped

I also add ? of a block of Coconut ( not in recipe but adds to the dish )

METHOD

To a large frying pan add the Base Sauce and Veg Oil
Heat until boiling
Add all other ingredients except Chicken Tikka
Cook for 2 minutes to reduce a little.
Add Chicken Tikka and cook for a further 3 Minutes
Sprinkle with some more Fresh Coriander
Serve

Hope this is of some use.

Regards

Ray

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Ok here we go with the results

Base - Day 2

I skimmed all the oil from the base I could but still only managed to get back 300ml.
I put the base in a narrower saucepan to reduce the surface area so that the oil was deeper on the surface, I skimmed off a further 100ml but the base still looked a little heavy in oil.

I really want to work out some method of extracting more of the remaining oil.
I?m thinking of investing in a turkey baster to suck the oil from around the edge of the pan.

This base really has depth of flavour.

Chicken Tikka

Very nice but I?d use less mint next time, it was a little bit strong in the final dish.

When mint is required do people use standard Coleman?s style mint or is there something at an Indian supermarket I should use.

Chicken Tikka Balti

Most Baltis I?ve had are more like a BIR, just sizzled to make them seem more exciting.

I just love the combination of spices of the tongue and warmth in the throat.? Every mouthful is a different combination of flavours.

WOW, everything was here, the flavours on the tongue, the warmth in the back of the throat; it really did have that certain something.
This was the 1st of the 2 dishes I made and as such I followed the recipe to the letter, including the initial oil to fry the garlic and ginger.? This may have been a mistake as my base still had 100ml of oil in it.

The best BIR I?ve ever made at home.

I found that deep frying the onions and peppers in the KD base always diluted the final dish with grease.? There was so little here (and it was skimmed oil) the final onions and pepper tasted exactly as I have had in a BIR.

As Ray says the final sauce reduced down and made a thick sauce, very unlike the KD dish.

Chicken Tikka Masala

I ignored the bit in the recipe saying add oil to fry the base and just used base mixture, added ? of a teaspoon of chilli to add a little heat.

Jane cleared her plate and was gushing about the dish she said this was easily as good as any she?d had in a restaurant, if not better as it wasn?t just creamy.

Pilau Rice

Yet again another winner, I used very heavy cast iron casserole dish for the rice and before putting it in the oven I tried some of the rice, it was under-cooked, I was very concerned as all the water had already been absorbed.

I shouldn?t have worried though, 20 minutes later out came the pot and off came the lid, OH YES, real restaurant Pilau rice, and I mean real.? The rice had gone from a flat pitted surface to fluffed up. The grains were so loose it was like it had not been cooked.? Definitely the best method I?ve ever tried for rice.? And so easy, I cheated and didn?t even wash the rice, just used an old tip from Chinese cooking, add the oil(or butter in this case) first and stir rice until all the grains are coated, then add the water and leave.

When both plates were cleared they had the characteristic red/orange coating of oil which is always left after a restaurant meal.

I can honestly say this has given me a big boost in trying out some more recipes; I was very down hearted to read of the poor results from the Kushi book and thought that we were back at square one.

©2024 Curry Recipes