Author Topic: The Balti Kitchen DVD?s ? 1st Attempt at The Base  (Read 18195 times)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Balti Kitchen DVD?s ? 1st Attempt at The Base
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 08:25 PM »
Ray,
I really appreciate the effort in typing all that out.  I just had 1 question as someone else asked, is it Coleman's mint sauce that you use?
I cant wait to try the recipes out.
Thanks once again Ray.
Payal

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Most Baltis I?ve had are more like a BIR, just sizzled to make them seem more exciting.

Ian

I think it's like Ray said - most BIRs stick the 'Balti' word all over the place these days - on their signs and menus, etc. It's just marketing or may go some way to explain the downturn in average BIR quality these past few years. Some areas of Birmingham have the real Balti thing and when I've had meals there, I'm not too keen, like the way it seems others feel about the Kushi Balti taste.

Regards
George

« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 08:30 PM by George »

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 08:45 PM »
Ray,
I just had 1 question as someone else asked, is it Coleman's mint sauce that you use?
Payal

Hi Payal,

Yes, it is in a square jar and is "Concentrated Mint Sauce". If I used it for anything else I would normally dilute it down with vinegar.
After the comment from Ian J who has just made it and found it a bit too Minty I would perhaps halve the amount as this mint sauce is pretty powerful stuff and could dominate the taste if too much is used.

Ray

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 09:02 PM »
I can honestly say this has given me a big boost in trying out some more recipes

Hi Ian,

Well done and so pleased you had a good result. That's one for your "make again" list I presume. I love the rice too, just the smell has "restaurant rice" written all over it and it falls off the fork...........wonderful stuff! I do wash mine well at first as I have had some pretty sticky rice before if I don't wash the starch out first. Just as a point of interest when you measured out 3 "cups" of rice what volume was the cup?

If there is one thing I have noticed about this base sauce and pre-cooked method it is that the main spicing comes from Garam Masala and? Pepper. I would imagine different qualities of Garam Masala is going to alter the taste quite radically. The difference between shop bought and home made is like chalk and cheese. I wonder which is used in the video? I used shop bought when I made the base but may try home made next time.

Ian, let us know if you make any other dishes from the DVD won't you.

Ray

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 09:03 PM »
I really want to work out some method of extracting more of the remaining oil.
I?m thinking of investing in a turkey baster to suck the oil from around the edge of the pan.
Dont bother, I use a cooks spoon as my turkey baster sucks up too much of the gravy

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 09:43 PM »
I have enough of the base left for 2 more mains which will be tomorrows evening meals.

Thanks for the info Mark will persevere with the spooning method.

I?m using off the shelf Garam Masala too,  may try making my own but would have to hand grind the spices as don?t have a coffee grinder.

I?m going to watch the DVDs again tonight and pause to try and gauge the actual measures used, there is way more than a pinch of Menthi going in, more like a teaspoon.  Similarly with the other spices, all look much greater volume than the recipe states.

The cup I use has 25cl 8.8 fl oz stamped into the base.

By stirring the rice in the oil first seals the grains and stops the starch coming out into the water,  allegedly.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 10:02 PM »
Ian,

Stick a Coffee Grinder on your Xmas wish list.

Mine was about ?15 and I use it all the time to grind whole spices to powder, they are so much fresher than packet stuff. The roasted whole spices for Garam Masala whizz up to a fine powder in seconds and the smell in the kitchen beats any "Magic Tree" you can buy!.

Seeing as your in the good books cos you have just impressed your partner with a CTM she just might get you one!

Ray

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 12:39 AM »
Now I?m really getting paranoid

I use actual measuring spoons in all recipes when needed.

Just watched the DVDs again and there is definitely more of each spice going in than is stated in the recipe

I would say the chef is using heaped measuring spoons, and he must have fingers like bananas as his pinch looks like a teaspoon.

Is there anyone else out there (other than RayGraham and myself) that has these discs and can chip in with some ideas.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 08:39 AM »
Hi Ian,
I might just add this.
Having just looked at the video again the first thing that I notice is the Ginger mystery. In the ingredients for the base sauce he say's "use 2 ozs Fresh Ginger, PEELED! Hope that helps.

My personal opinion is not to get too wound up by amounts!
There is a bit of leeway with some of the spices I think although I agree what gets shown seems to be on the generous side.

The way I look at is is this. Spices such as Paprika, Turmeric, Coriander Powder are relatively mild tasting and too much will not affect taste so drastically. You can be fairly safe with an overdose of these kind of spices especially in say a two litre base sauce.

The spices I tend to be careful with are Chilie, Cumin, Garam Masala, Cardamom, Pepper etc, you know what I mean. Any of these are bound to affect the taste if too much (or too little ) is used as they are very powerful. Garam Masala is a particularly potent spice and I have ruined many a dish with overuse of this one!

In the video I wonder if they just show each spice in a small dish just to demonstrate what it looks like rather than have put in an accurate amount for the recipe. It seems to me the actual amount he tips in the pot is closer to a measured amount and I think a rounded measure would be what is shown rather than a flat measure.

Regards

Ray

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 11:11 AM »
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA
INGREDIENTS
8 pieces of cooked Chicken Tikka from above
1 ? cups of Base Sauce
1 Tbsp Veg Oil
2 Tbsps Single Cream
1 Dessertspoon Plain Yogurt
1 Teaspoon Concentrated Mint Sauce
? pinch Deep Orange Food Colouring
1 Dessertspoon Fresh Coriander, Chopped
I also add ? of a block of Coconut ( not in recipe but adds to the dish )

Ray

If you say this CTM is good, then I'm sure it's worth a try, and I will. But I'm puzzled that there are no tomato or tomato-related ingredients in it, like tomato soup. Is tomato not a standard pre-requisite for a BIR CTM?

Regards
George
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 01:39 PM by George »

©2024 Curry Recipes