Author Topic: Ifindforu secret mix powder  (Read 33531 times)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ifindforu secret mix powder
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Thanks for the concern. I did have visions of ifindforu grinding up his toenail clippings - you get the idea.
But I don't think he would do that to me or deliberately poison me.
I know you should only taste certain products when cooked but usually it is the stuff in jars, I think.

... then again if I never post again....call the police!  ;)

Cheers,

Paul
wouldnt dream of doing that to a curry lover and not even if your not a curry lover but if you need a bit more to do the base tell me straight away and ill post to you by the way sealed to stop infultration lol

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Hi ifindforu,

I'm cooking a curry right now with your spice mix. Thanks for sending. I'll report back later if I haven't croaked!  ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Hi ifindforu,

I'm cooking a curry right now with your spice mix. Thanks for sending. I'll report back later if I haven't croaked!  ;)

Cheers,

Paul
may i ask do you use goor in your base ?? fresh coliander/ coconut milk powder/ and ghee veg ghee.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 10:53 PM »
Wtf is goor? Lol

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Wtf is goor? Lol

That'll be Jaggery Goor,
Mick

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 11:35 PM »
Well I need to go to bed after that curry and 4 cans of ale. It was a great curry and the spice mix did lift my curry cooking to a new level. I'll post more later.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 01:19 AM »
Now the nation and outposts around the world wait with bated breath.  Could this truly be what we've been looking for??  I can see I'll be returning to this thread at least every hour until PaulP posts his report!!
al.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 10:46 AM »
A bit more info about what I cooked.

I made my standard favourite chicken curry:

Pre-cooked onions and green peppers fried in mixture of butter ghee and coconut oil. 500 ml of Abdul Mohed's base gravy (the only one I have at present), 4 cloves garlic finely chopped by hand, lesser amount of ginger, 1 tsp tom puree (diluted 3:1 with water), I usually use more but this base is quite tomatoey, a pinch of methi, half teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder, some salt, fresh chicken breasts, finely chopped coriander stalks and some leaves and 1 tablespoon of the mystery mixed powder.

All I can say is that the spice mix from ifindforu produced a superior curry to what I normally manage to cook. It is hard to describe but words like more refined come to mind. Less harsh and more fragrant than my normal curries, which I was already pretty pleased with. My wife totally agreed with this opinion.

It was certainly a lesson to me that there is still some mileage for improvement in the mix powder, I've tried loads of mix powder recipes and I imagined that any improvements for me would probably come from the base sauce recipes.

It would be great to hear a second opinion - I don't know whether anybody else (like CA or JerryM) has been sent the same spice mix. If it was for sale on ebay at a reasonable price I would certainly want to buy some!
Of course it would be nice to know the recipe but thanks anyway to ifindforu  :)

Cheers,

Paul

** Edited to change typo gloves to cloves! **
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:10 PM by PaulP »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Sounds like that there could be some ground green cardamom in the mix somewhere ;)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 11:40 AM »
A bit more info about what I cooked.

I made my standard favourite chicken curry:

Pre-cooked onions and green peppers fried in mixture of butter ghee and coconut oil. 500 ml of Abdul Mohed's base gravy (the only one I have at present), 4 gloves garlic finely chopped by hand, lesser amount of ginger, 1 tsp tom puree (diluted 3:1 with water), I usually use more but this base is quite tomatoey, a pinch of methi, half teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder, some salt, fresh chicken breasts, finely chopped coriander stalks and some leaves and 1 tablespoon of the mystery mixed powder.

All I can say is that the spice mix from ifindforu produced a superior curry to what I normally manage to cook. It is hard to describe but words like more refined come to mind. Less harsh and more fragrant than my normal curries, which I was already pretty pleased with. My wife totally agreed with this opinion.

It was certainly a lesson to me that there is still some mileage for improvement in the mix powder, I've tried loads of mix powder recipes and I imagined that any improvements for me would probably come from the base sauce recipes.

It would be great to hear a second opinion - I don't know whether anybody else (like CA or JerryM) has been sent the same spice mix. If it was for sale on ebay at a reasonable price I would certainly want to buy some!
Of course it would be nice to know the recipe but thanks anyway to ifindforu  :)

Cheers,

Paul
thank you for yout honest opinion , the only way the spice mix can be changed is like this,my bengali friend said some chefls use 1 spoonfu of ??? while some use  2 or maybe 3  this is why you get different curry in different bir
but they all use the same method.Iwill post later for what i think is the closest gravy recipie for a bir base.where i work HE WILL NOT tell me so i have to be a keen wathcher on the gravy making.But the base that i make ive got to say,is as close as anyone can get to the bir taste I never buy indian food as i now cook it myself,and im quite happy with it I am looking nowherelse for improvment as i feel have reached my goal  unly personal making the gravy more tasty can make the curry more tasty as everything more tast,more money once you got a good gravy one must be satisfied with it.As for selling on ebay,we find it hard work but will put a few on there for trial.As i previosly said good curry powder costs money and eastern star is what is used where i work and he says its the best hes used natco/trs/east end but nothing compares to the eastern star powder which even the chinese use.
tHE TIN IS ?29.50 SO I DONT KNOW WHERE SOMONE CALCULATES THE MAKING OF ?180 FROM. ?4 FOR A POUND IN WIEGHT BRINGS A RETURN OF ?80/Ebay chrges traveling to get tins so hope you think my price is fair plus adding the toe nals lol
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:54 PM by ifindforu »

©2024 Curry Recipes