Author Topic: Ifindforu secret mix powder  (Read 33526 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ifindforu secret mix powder
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 05:56 PM »
looking forward to hearing about the results JerryM, i'm not yet decided on how crucial mix powders are yet..I remember you were one of the first to try the Panpot stuff, which had no mix powder at all...how did you rate these?

Regards
ELW

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 06:15 PM »
i've opened the packet of ifindforu's mix powder - have done side by side tasting against my mouchak (well parker21's).
the stark difference though is in the taste - the infindforu has a real smoothness the mouchak tastes rough
from my general cooking experience this should make a significant difference in the taste. whether it does in curry i'll know after cooking tonight.

Look forward to the results of this later JerryM ;D.  I noticed you haven't answered my question posted in Panpot's Ashoka South Indian garlic sauce thread or maybe you just missed it :-\

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 06:34 PM »
i've opened the packet of ifindforu's mix powder - have done side by side tasting against my mouchak (well parker21's).

the difference is stark. the mouchak is the best blend i've found for my taste buds. the infindforu mix is not far different in terms of what's in it ie both are very close in proportions and ingredients.

the stark difference though is in the taste - the infindforu has a real smoothness the mouchak tastes rough in comparison - you would easily pick out the infindforu as your fav in a blind tasting.

from my general cooking experience this should make a significant difference in the taste. whether it does in curry i'll know after cooking tonight.

could not decide what to make as the best comparison side by side - finally decided on kashmiri as this the curry we know best. so 1 off using ifindforu and 1 off using mouchak.

Hi Jerry,

So the ifindforu spice mix has similar proportions and ingredients to the mouchak spice mix?
I didn't think ifindforu was telling us the proportions or have you let a cat out of a bag?

Totally agree on how rough my existing spice mix tasted compared to the ifindforu one, and that went through to the finished dishes. I'm just needing to test it with a more suitable base recipe.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 03:16 AM »
Hi Jerry,

You mentioned the below in your review of the mix powder, has IFFU listed what is in the mix and the proportions so that you can compare?

... the infindforu mix is not far different in terms of what's in it ie both are very close in proportions and
ingredients. ...

I'm in Australia and can't import the mix powder due to customs regulations and didn't think would be able to reproduce due to the ingred list not being posted, perhaps I missed that?

Regards,
Mark

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 05:42 PM »
ELW,

i rate the ashoka information very much. the base is good but not quite up there with the very best. i've not done justice to the ashoka recipes though and have it on my mind to try more of them out. the ashoka taste is not BIR as i know it but it's just as enjoyable. i make the karahi bhuna a lot and the rogan josh for an impressive dish. i also keep the pathia recipe for a now and then change from my norm fav dishes.

curryhell,

i can miss posts these days. i did get to yours.

PaulP/Mark Massala,

i have no additional knowledge on the make up of the powder from ifindforu. the observation was purely on tasting side by side the mouchak and ifindforu. i can't see the roughness being in the coriander, cumin or turmeric in the mouchak. the garam proportion is very small and on tasting the East End that i keep no roughness jumps out. i can't really detect any roughness in the chilli powder. that only leaves the curry powder. i use the rajah hot madras which tastes pretty good but could well have the roughness. there are 6 off units of curry powder in the mouchak so it has quite a large effect.

the only way forward i see is to get some Eastern Star curry powder from ifindforu and then make a batch of mouchak with it.

this roughness taste is quite staggering - if i'd not experienced it i just would not believe it.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 05:50 PM »
i cooked 2 off identical kashmiri last night except for the mix powder.

i feel i cooked them pretty much the same.

there was a clear winner - no need to think about or a 2nd taste - the difference was very apparent. the one dish seemed to have the spice taste sort of top sliced the - peaks taken off. the other had those peaks in placed and gave a real clarity to the flavour.

i must admit i'm quite surprised at the effect as i only use 0.5 tsp mix powder per portion.

i think the winner was the infindforu but i'm not 100% sure as i think i picked the wrong tub of pre measured mix powder during the heat of cooking. consequently i need to cook again to make sure.

one thing worth pointing out is that this is not a fix all solution. it's just another part of the jigsaw. the only thing being that if the winner is the ifindforu mix then it clearly punches much higher than you would expect.

so far well pleased.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 07:35 PM »
FDA Guidance for Industry: A Food Labeling Guide

How are spices, natural flavours or artificial flavours declared in
ingredient lists?

Answer: These may be declared in ingredient lists by using either
specific common or usual names or by using the declarations ?spices,?
 ?flavour? or ?natural flavour,? or ?artificial flavour.?
e.g.
?INGREDIENTS: Apple Slices, Water, Cane Syrup, Corn Syrup,
Modified Corn Starch, Spices, Salt, Natural Flavour and
Artificial Flavour?

However, products that are spices or spice blends, flavours or
colours must list each ingredient by name. FD&C?Act 403(i)(2).
21 CFR 101.22(h)(1)

Does this mean Terry has to list all his ingredients? ;D :P

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2011, 10:20 PM »

ingredient lists?

e.g.
Artificial Flavour?

21 CFR 101.22(h)(1)

So we won't squeal on you Terry providing you tell us what went in the mix powder and the quantities ;D ;D

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 10:46 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Assuming you prefered the ifindforu mix I agree with everything you said. It's a real lesson to me on how important the curry powder element of your mix powder is and it can make or break it. I suppose it makes sense as the other ingredients of a mix powder are fairly stock and predictable.

Maybe to get the best curry powder you have to enter the wholesale market. Eastern Star isn't available below 10kg and about 30 quid and I've heard (can't remember where) that other makes like Rajah use different curry powders for their commercial curry powders.

Good lesson to learn, my Rajah mild madras curry powder is about a year old but all my stock spices are fresh - I should beat myself with a stick.  ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 10:55 PM »

ingredient lists?

e.g.
Artificial Flavour?

21 CFR 101.22(h)(1)

So we won't squeal on you Terry providing you tell us what went in the mix powder and the quantities ;D ;D
curry powder,jeera,coriander,paprika,chilli powder,gara masala no artificial powder

©2024 Curry Recipes