Author Topic: Ifindforu secret mix powder  (Read 33533 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ifindforu secret mix powder
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2011, 11:17 PM »
there was a clear winner - no need to think about or a 2nd taste - the difference was very apparent.

i think the winner was the infindforu but i'm not 100% sure as i think i picked the wrong tub of pre measured mix

I'm sorry Jerry but your conclusion is as clear as mud. I think you should have re-run the test without making any mistakes, before publishing the result.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2011, 11:22 PM »
there was a clear winner - no need to think about or a 2nd taste - the difference was very apparent.

i think the winner was the infindforu but i'm not 100% sure as i think i picked the wrong tub of pre measured mix

I'm sorry Jerry but your conclusion is as clear as mud. I think you should have re-run the test without making any mistakes, before publishing the result.
leave jerry alone we all make mitakes me also.Jerry if you want some more mix let me know money no problem

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2011, 11:35 PM »
Hi Terry,

Sorry for the delay but I found out I can't import unless it is commercially packaged even for amounts of 1kg  or less which leaves me high and dry here in Australia unfortunately.

Interesting that there is no turmeric in it, most of the mix powders seem to have loads of it in it. At the restaurant here where I work, not that we use mixed powder, but in our masalas that go into the gravies, very little turmeric is actually used.

Regards,
Mark

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 09:54 AM »
leave jerry alone we all make mitakes me also.

Your post says it all, in a way.
Four fifths of a potato vs four or five potatoes, base sauce forgotten, etc, etc
Mitake vs mistake
Who cares? All this is only for fun, Forget the science, reasonable accuracy, a methodical approach or any sense of an intelligent approach?

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 12:34 PM »
Hi Terry,

Sorry for the delay but I found out I can't import unless it is commercially packaged even for amounts of 1kg  or less which leaves me high and dry here in Australia unfortunately.

Interesting that there is no turmeric in it, most of the mix powders seem to have loads of it in it. At the restaurant here where I work, not that we use mixed powder, but in our masalas that go into the gravies, very little turmeric is actually used.

Regards,
Mark
the eastern star curry powder has more than enough turmaric

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 12:49 PM »
leave jerry alone we all make mitakes me also.

Your post says it all, in a way.
Four fifths of a potato vs four or five potatoes, base sauce forgotten, etc, etc
Mitake vs mistake
Who cares? All this is only for fun, Forget the science, reasonable accuracy, a methodical approach or any sense of an intelligent approach?
glad you see the funny side of things a good sense of humour GEORGE

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2011, 03:56 PM »

i have no additional knowledge on the make up of the powder from ifindforu. the observation was purely on tasting side by side the mouchak and ifindforu. i can't see the roughness being in the coriander, cumin or turmeric in the mouchak. the garam proportion is very small and on tasting the East End that i keep no roughness jumps out. i can't really detect any roughness in the chilli powder. that only leaves the curry powder. i use the rajah hot madras which tastes pretty good but could well have the roughness. there are 6 off units of curry powder in the mouchak so it has quite a large effect.

the only way forward i see is to get some Eastern Star curry powder from ifindforu and then make a batch of mouchak with it.

this roughness taste is quite staggering - if i'd not experienced it i just would not believe it.
Hi Jerry

Does the mouchak spice mix state the use of rajah hot madras curry powder?

Only asking as I thought most spice mixes call for a standard/mild curry powder?

Would that make a difference in the 'roughness', ie is the Eastern Star a standard/mild curry powder?

Martin

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Martinvic,

you're right - the mouchak does not specify hot curry powder. i just use the hot out of habit. i did try the normal version a while back and felt the hot was a tad better.

i really don't know what causes the roughness - i'd like to find out though. it's only an assumption that the roughness is causing the difference. to be sure i need to order some Eastern Star from ifindforu's web site and use it to make mouchak.

George,

your quite right - i'm kicking myself too. i put the ingredients out mouchak LHS, ifindforu RHS. for my cooking they have a bit of a journey until they end up back in the kitchen. what i think happened is i picked up the RHS spice for the 1st dish - it naturally being closest to the pan. i expected the RHS dish to taste the best but it was the LHS dish - hence my caution on the result.

i'm cooking admins jalfrezi tonight which uses 1 tsp of mix and no puree - i expect this should give a better picture than the kashmiri. i'll be keeping ifindforu's spice packet by the mix container throughout - no more opps for sure.

have attached the kashmiri pic for info. i think (pretty sure) LHS is ifindforu and a very clear winner.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2011, 04:45 PM »
curry powder,jeera,coriander,paprika,chilli powder,gara masala no artificial powder

ifindforu,

it's quite a surprise that list. i very much agree the Eastern Star must contain quite a lot of turmeric. on the wet finger taste and on the colour i would could not picked out any paprika - i'm not disputing what you say and happy to include - the amount must be small c/w the rest.

going forward - i am i right that i could purchase the Eastern Star from yourself and get an equivalent result from an "Eastern Star" version of the mouchak obviously adjusting for the turmeric and adding in paprika (2 coriander, 1 cumin,  chilli, 4 turmeric, 6 curry powder, 0.5 garam).

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2011, 05:11 PM »
OK Jerry, it's all about personal tastes in the end anyway.

I personally work on the proviso that the mix powder should be, for want of a better term, 'neutral'.
Hence fine to use in all dishes across the board, then the various individual spices are added to create each dish.
Just a personal view of why I would never use a hot madras curry powder in a general spice mix.

By the way I like the look of those Kashmiri curries, what recipe do you use?

Martin

©2024 Curry Recipes