Author Topic: Ifindforu secret mix powder  (Read 33536 times)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ifindforu secret mix powder
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Sounds like that there could be some ground green cardamom in the mix somewhere ;)
dont waste you money on cadamons youl be dissapointed

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 11:54 AM »
A bit more info about what I cooked.

I made my standard favourite chicken curry:

Pre-cooked onions and green peppers fried in mixture of butter ghee and coconut oil. 500 ml of Abdul Mohed's base gravy (the only one I have at present), 4 gloves garlic finely chopped by hand, lesser amount of ginger, 1 tsp tom puree (diluted 3:1 with water), I usually use more but this base is quite tomatoey, a pinch of methi, half teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder, some salt, fresh chicken breasts, finely chopped coriander stalks and some leaves and 1 tablespoon of the mystery mixed powder.

All I can say is that the spice mix from ifindforu produced a superior curry to what I normally manage to cook. It is hard to describe but words like more refined come to mind. Less harsh and more fragrant than my normal curries, which I was already pretty pleased with. My wife totally agreed with this opinion.

It was certainly a lesson to me that there is still some mileage for improvement in the mix powder, I've tried loads of mix powder recipes and I imagined that any improvements for me would probably come from the base sauce recipes.

It would be great to hear a second opinion - I don't know whether anybody else (like CA or JerryM) has been sent the same spice mix. If it was for sale on ebay at a reasonable price I would certainly want to buy some!
Of course it would be nice to know the recipe but thanks anyway to ifindforu  :)

Cheers,

Paul
yes Jerry M has had some CA lives in oz so cant send there sorry

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 03:21 PM »
I'm pleased that this curry powder improves the curry so much, but it's definitely not used round where I live.
I think Eastern Star is a North East phenomanon
I am curious though

I go in all the major Nottingham Asian supermarkets
Common catering sized curry powders are East End, KTC & Rajah
There is also bassar curry powder too, but that is very different

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Common catering sized curry powders are East End, KTC & Rajah
My local Asian supermarket has all those brands as well but also has a brand called "Heera" and has many different spices and a Madras curry powder by them. Has anybody come across them before?

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 03:37 PM »
I've heard a couple of times that the curry powder you get in large catering size tubs is different (better?) from the curry powder sold in smaller bags and jars, even when from the same manufacturer.

I don't know if this is true or not. It looks like Eastern Star only do a 10kg tub!

Cheers,

Paul

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 04:21 PM »
I've heard a couple of times that the curry powder you get in large catering size tubs is different (better?) from the curry powder sold in smaller bags and jars, even when from the same manufacturer.

I don't know if this is true or not. It looks like Eastern Star only do a 10kg tub!

Cheers,

Paul

yes ive never been able to buy less than 10 kilo watch to see how popular it is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7UonfdYvMc#]curry paste part 2.mp4] curry paste part 2.mp4

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 07:45 PM »
PaulP,

i've got a sample - looks very impressive. going to have to make base to try it. very pleased with your result - the colour is lighter than the mouchak that i use and i feel more "a tad" like what i can see in my local TA (we are talking very close though).

ps it may be worth having a look through a few of the sites bases that don't use mix powder - only personal preference but i find base without mix is best never use it myself.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Ifindforu,

just to clarify the packet is mix powder not curry powder. getting confused - i presume Eastern Star is the curry powder that is used to make your mix powder.

i too have never seen Eastern Star brand anywhere but of course have never specifically looked for it. i'm on good terms with the owner of my local asian store and will ask him if he knows of it.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Hi Jerry,

In case ifindforu doesn't return soon I can confirm that what he sent you is mix powder that uses eastern star curry powder. I've got some eastern star curry powder and it is a different colour from the mix powder.

Good luck and I'm keen to see your results  :)

Paul

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 08:06 AM »
Paul,

many thanks for clarification - makes sense.

i feel i have understanding of all the pieces of the jigsaw and have been looking solely at recipe refinement for improvement. i've never investigated mix powder in detail although i've tried quite a few posted recipes. it's possible that i've overlooked it's importance in terms of refinement. the mouchak produces a very good result and the closest i've come across. very much looking forward to making base next w/e to try out the "gold" mix. it looks the busines to me.

am sure we're very grateful to ifindforu in taking the time to challenge us on areas that we may have missed.

for info i'm quite a fan of infindforu's base (probably in my top 5) and for sure love his tikka being the only version i now make.

best wishes,

©2024 Curry Recipes