Author Topic: Ifindforu secret mix powder  (Read 33396 times)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ifindforu secret mix powder
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Ifindforu,

just to clarify the packet is mix powder not curry powder. getting confused - i presume Eastern Star is the curry powder that is used to make your mix powder.

i too have never seen Eastern Star brand anywhere but of course have never specifically looked for it. i'm on good terms with the owner of my local asian store and will ask him if he knows of it.
yes mixed using eastern star Jerry

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 04:31 PM »
It sounds to me the Spice mix contains Curry Powder which is the Eastern Star brand .

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Paul,

many thanks for clarification - makes sense.

i feel i have understanding of all the pieces of the jigsaw and have been looking solely at recipe refinement for improvement. i've never investigated mix powder in detail although i've tried quite a few posted recipes. it's possible that i've overlooked it's importance in terms of refinement. the mouchak produces a very good result and the closest i've come across. very much looking forward to making base next w/e to try out the "gold" mix. it looks the busines to me.

am sure we're very grateful to ifindforu in taking the time to challenge us on areas that we may have missed.

for info i'm quite a fan of infindforu's base (probably in my top 5) and for sure love his tikka being the only version i now make.

best wishes,

I always thought Ifindforyou did actually have some sort of insider knowledge of a BIR kitchen,indeed I thought his base sauce was very good and produced some good results.It's just his posts were so vague and infrequent that it frustrated me(and others too).If his mix powder is that good that all credit to him,hopefully more info on his updated base sauce will be posted soon.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 01:22 PM »
I received my half-pound pack of this spice mix this week and made my third curry with it last night. I think this is the best spice mix I've ever made BIR curries with and I've tried about 7 or 8 in the last 2 years.

My curries taste more fragrant and sweeter using this mix. I'm looking forward to trying it with another base as I'm using up the last of my Abdul Mohed's base first. I think this would taste even better with a different base such as the latest one from ifindforu or the chewytikka base. I'll report back when I've done that.

Has nobody else tried this, JerryM, anyone? I'd love to hear a second opinion.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 03:03 PM »
So are you saying to replace a spice mix curry powder, such as rajah madras, with eastern star curry powder? or is there a new spice mix recipe to go with the eastern star powder?

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Hi P&J,

The spice mix is based on that made in the TA where ifindforu works.

It uses Eastern Star curry powder as a component but I don't know what else is in it.
Probably the usual suspects like turmeric, coriander powder and cumin powder.

I would say (due to colour) there is no paprika and due to smell there is no garlic powder and probably no garam masala. From tasting there is no chili powder in any great amount. Other than that I've no idea!

Cheers,

Paul

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 04:45 PM »
So are you saying to replace a spice mix curry powder, such as rajah madras, with eastern star curry powder? or is there a new spice mix recipe to go with the eastern star powder?
There is no need to change the curry  rajah,east end,TRS, but eastern star has great fragrance and is the most
expensive powder,that why we use it but its each individuals choice

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 11:43 AM »
i asked at my local store for eastern star curry powder - as expected not stocked. owner is going to check at his wholesaler next week in Manchester.

he did have "boxed" eastern brand like MDH boxes - it's not the same as what we are looking for.

ps i have base on the way and aim to cook early next week.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 09:06 PM »
The way it reads then is to use your usual mix powder AND add East end to it?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 05:45 PM »
i've opened the packet of ifindforu's mix powder - have done side by side tasting against my mouchak (well parker21's).

the difference is stark. the mouchak is the best blend i've found for my taste buds. the infindforu mix is not far different in terms of what's in it ie both are very close in proportions and ingredients.

the stark difference though is in the taste - the infindforu has a real smoothness the mouchak tastes rough in comparison - you would easily pick out the infindforu as your fav in a blind tasting.

from my general cooking experience this should make a significant difference in the taste. whether it does in curry i'll know after cooking tonight.

could not decide what to make as the best comparison side by side - finally decided on kashmiri as this the curry we know best. so 1 off using ifindforu and 1 off using mouchak.

©2024 Curry Recipes