Author Topic: Opening a restaurant  (Read 3288 times)

Offline d14ryl

• Chef
    • View Profile
Opening a restaurant
« on: November 28, 2005, 06:01 PM »
Hi all.

Dunno if this has been brought up before but has anyone ever had the thought of opening and running your own BIR? I think about it regularly as an ambition for me sometime in the future. Does anyone know of any indian restaurant that is owned/operated by someone of British origin? Is it popular? I think i would go for a contemporary feel rather than a traditionally decorated establishment...not because i personally prefer that setting but because i think that is the feel that most of the public want these days.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Opening a restaurant
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 06:08 PM »
Hi,

I don't know of anyone British who runs a BIR over here but a few years ago went to an Indian Restaurant on Ibiza and my wife was amazed to find the owners were two British people she used to go to school with in Yorkshire.
The husband was the cook and the wife was the waitress. The menu was quite extensive and the food remarkably good and had that restaurant taste, well kind of!
They used to get friends who flew out there regularly to bring over the Spices, Pickles and Popadoms as they found it hard getting some products over there.

Ray

Offline vin daloo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Hi all.

I think i would go for a contemporary feel rather than a traditionally decorated establishment...not because i personally prefer that setting but because i think that is the feel that most of the public want these days.

Do they????  I for one certainly dont - i want flock wallpaper, indian music, cosy surroundings and a decent curry, not all this new posh, al a cart, sterile, upper-class rubbish with no character.  Its like having the traditional pub being modernised and ruined by the breweries innit!?

Offline d14ryl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 12:09 AM »
Hi,

I don't know of anyone British who runs a BIR over here but a few years ago went to an Indian Restaurant on Ibiza and my wife was amazed to find the owners were two British people she used to go to school with in Yorkshire.

Funny you should mention that cos i had the same experience abroad. I made the mistake of going to Faliraki last year but i the one and only indian restaurant they had was run by an English family who had relatives in a part of Edinburgh we live near. I don't often go abroad but it was a strange sensation eating a vindaloo in the soaring heat. a very excellent curry was had there though i must say!

Do they???? I for one certainly dont - i want flock wallpaper, indian music, cosy surroundings and a decent curry, not all this new posh, al a cart, sterile, upper-class rubbish with no character. Its like having the traditional pub being modernised and ruined by the breweries innit!?

I agree with you there. The new establishments do have a "cold" feel to them. There just seems to me be more and more of these "style" restaurants opening up. Chances of a traditional style restaurant to come on the market are probably pretty slim as i'd imagine a lot are maybe family-owned and passed on perhaps?

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 05:57 PM »
I`m really lucky because my favorite local has all the old character & some really great mellow Asian music playing in the background & it tastes absolutely bloody marvelous !!!  :D.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Opening a restaurant (keep it real)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 08:50 PM »
Yes!
Its got to be Asian music and flock wallpaper but
taking a quarter inch of the table leg may be going to far.
also not knowing what we order helps, it adds that special
something...
(you know, what have we ordered dear ?)

I once seen "with sweety flavour" as part a description
for a meal, still to this day i have no idea.

Its all parts of this Asian industry and they should keep all of it.

I once asked a young lad to please play some Indian music
as we had enough of M and M.

Its like going for a burns night out and hearing
merry Xmas by Slade.

I also find now, more and more waiters are local.
very local infact :-)? Geordie waiter's more local than me !
(soon to be owners) this is now quite normal, thinking about it
its bound to happen.

Fancy being served by an Asian Scottish waiter, now that would be funny
for out of town folk. I can't even start to spell what he would say :)

Graeme.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 11:06 PM by graeme »

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Opening a restaurant (keep it real)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 09:54 PM »
Fancy being served by an Asian Scottish waiter, now that would be funny
for out of town folk.

What, with a Turban and a Kilt and a name like Jock Patel. !!!

Offline DeeDee

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 05:05 AM »
My vote:

1. Flock wallpaper
2. Nusrat Fatah Ali Khan warbling in the background
3. Waiters in ill-fitting red jackets with Saddam moustaches
4. Curries that demand lager
5. Tiny metal bowl with one scoop of ice cream for dessert (choice of vanilla or chocalte only)

DD

Offline d14ryl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 04:56 PM »
no jock patel of asian background i'm afraid....or not that i have met. there are tony singhs tho. doubt they christened anthony tho!

yeah loads of waiters and shopkeepers who are mixed asian-scottish with really strong scottish accents.

maybe it was a dream after all owning a c-house but if i still on cr0 in 10-15 years and it's came true i'll invite you all around for a curry....guaranteed..lol

d14ryl

©2024 Curry Recipes