Author Topic: My curry base  (Read 4438 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
My curry base
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:46 AM »
HI All
After years of experimenting I have always returned to this method

5 Onions
1 Apple( flesh only) see notes
2 Whole bulbs of Garlic
1 Capsicum
3 Carrots
3 Green Chillies (deseeded)

All the above are placed in foil with a little oil sealed then baked for 1 hour- ish to soften  break the Garlic into cloves and leave skins on

Next stage

100gms oil
3 inch Ginger root peeled ( see notes)
400 gms Passata
6 Curry leaves
2 Litres Water
1 teaspoon salt

Heat oil add all above baked veg ( garlic will easily be removed from skins and softened  )
Add All above and simmer for 10mins

Last stage

2 Tablespoons Turmeric
1 Tablespoon Paprika
2 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
2 Teaspoons of spice mix or currypowder

Add the above spices for 5 mins let cool then blend till silky smooth

Notes :I use a quality Parmesan grater for the ginger
The apple adds a little sweetness and fruitiness

You should get 2 Litres of sauce I use 1/2 litre that day fridge 1 and freeze 1 in 1/2 litre screw on lid containers
This is very easy with none of that running to the kitchen every 2 mins I hope some of you try It and let me know your opinions :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My curry base
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:47 PM »
I have used apple in my base as well noble ox here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5674.0

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Hi Unclefrank
My 1st curry 1958 cooked by my mother in W London then....  always had some apple in it.
There were no BIRs then ,nobody had heard of curry, I can remember all the kids trying it out and running home with hot tongues, but they always returned for more the next week
I know of a few BIRs who add apple puree to the vindaloos giving that mysterious fruity tang

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 01:14 PM »
Hi Unclefrank
My 1st curry 1958 cooked by my mother in W London then....  always had some apple in it.
There were no BIRs then ,nobody had heard of curry, I can remember all the kids trying it out and running home with hot tongues, but they always returned for more the next week
I know of a few BIRs who add apple puree to the vindaloos giving that mysterious fruity tang

Thats very interesting about the apple puree in Vindaloo, dont eat it  that often but will give this a go.
What curries have you made with your base?

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:01 PM »
Hi Unclefrank

Thats very interesting about the apple puree in Vindaloo, dont eat it  that often but will give this a go.
What curries have you made with your base?

I have made loads of different BIR types thats what friends expect,but for me its a vindaloo type (with a little pickled beetroot juice from my home growns gives vinegar and harmless colouring) or madras clone
the only I am not keen on are the korma versions

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Evening No Ox , what type of apple are you using?
Would it be a good cooking apple like a York Imperial? or maybe the benchmark for flavour in apples the Cox's Orange Pippin?  or maybe the sweeter Honeycrisp  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes