Author Topic: top secret  (Read 2589 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
top secret
« on: December 03, 2005, 07:45 PM »
Went to my local curry house on Friday.Same routine nearly every week,few beers and then a short cab ride for some top notch food.It's that good I've been going there now for about fifteen years so I'm now on first name terms.Anyway,as I was leaving this week(a bit worse for drink) I happened to say "Now what EXACTLY goes into your curry gravy then??"? Well the look on their faces u would have thought I'd asked for their bank details!! A few nervous glances and a lot of babbling was followed by "How do u know about curry gravy??" They seemed very surprised at my knowledge but were VERY secretive "Don't know only the chef knows think he uses some oxo cubes and spices" Having me on or what???? Seems to me that every waiter/chef/cook e.t.c must have taken some sort of oath never to reveal their secrets.....However the owner who I know very well? said that the chef may do me? some lessons for ?20 an hour-if he's serious(I think he is) I will book myself in.He did say previously and again on Friday that I can come in the restaurant one afternoon to watch them prepare their base sauces ....now there's an offer watch this space!!!

Offline DeeDee

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: top secret
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 07:59 PM »
RESULT!!!! Take piccies if you can!! I'm going to try something similar with a place I know over here.

:-)

DeeDee

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 11:45 AM »
Hi JB,

Yes, photo's, video, exclusive interviews with the chef and sample's of the base for scientific analysis!
And record every word he say's with your dictaphone!!

Can't miss this one!

Ray

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 02:58 PM »
This could be the best report we've had
It really is all in the base
I got a sample the other day
It's really nice
Tasty in it's own right
If that's correct, then the rest just follows
Curry King and I both had home demos, but there is always this " not the same at home" remark, that is made by the chefs.
The best we have had so far is the full recipe by Mark J
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=122.0
Even with this, there is a little more than meets the eye
Like adding the old base, to the new

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 01:16 PM »
hi guys/gals
has anyone actually read bruce edwards curryhouse cookery properly it is all there, all you are debating just LOOK CLOSER at the text reusing oil and base saving juices from precooking the meat/veg etc etc etc just read it go on right now it has all the answers.

thanks
gary(woodpecker)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 08:06 AM »
hi guys/gals
has anyone actually read bruce edwards curryhouse cookery properly it is all there, all you are debating just LOOK CLOSER at the text reusing oil and base saving juices from precooking the meat/veg etc etc etc just read it go on right now it has all the answers.

thanks
gary(woodpecker)

Hi Gary
          all I can see is "and save some of the sauce, it can be added to your curries"

From page 14, pre cooked meat

What else is there?
Could you give page and paragrah heading?
Sorry, I can't see anything referring to reusing oil
I had this article over ten years before posting on this site
So I will feel quite silly if I have missed something like that!
Thanks

©2024 Curry Recipes