Author Topic: Veggie Pakoras  (Read 19142 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Veggie Pakoras
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 11:31 AM »
I cooked them in a wok with a large amount of oil, its hard to say eactly how much as depends on the size of your pan\wok.  You should have enough in there so that your pakoras can float around in it easily.  As for heat you want it very hot, chuck in a small piece of bread and if its hot enough it should go brown straight away.  I use cheap as you can get veg oil.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Thanks Curry King,

I made them and they were great infact being out here in France and being able to make Pakora as a Glaswegian I am now complete, I even found Gram flour in Carrefour

Thanks again

Panpot

Offline jm459

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 12:31 PM »
Are there any other variations on pakora dipping sauce besides these two?

Pakora Sauce

Tomato Sauce ------------------ 8 tablespoons
Onion              -------------------2 tablespoons (finely chopped)
Fresh Tomatoes -----------------2 tablespoons (finely chopped)
Chilli Powder ---------------------1/2 teaspoon
Salt ---------------------------------1/2 teaspoon
Sugar -------------------------------pinch
Green Chilli ------------------------ 1 finely chopped(to taste)
Water -------------------------------4 tablespoons
Mix all the ingredients together, at least an hour before serving

Personal method is to put everything in food processor and zap to get desired consistency

Offline griff191

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 02:12 PM »
Pakoras

Ingredients:
6 mushrooms, Cauliflower florets and 2 Onions
2 cloves garlic, crushed
8 oz (225g) gram flour
? tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tsp baking powder
? tsp asafoetida
1 tsp salt
? tsp of each of the following fennel seeds and cumin seeds, (Ground up coarsely)
2oz (50g) Coriander

Method:
Sieve the gram flour into a bowl and then add all the veggies diced up nice and small (? inch max.)
mix in all the remaining ingredients and stir the whole lot until evenly coated.
Now GENTLY add water until the mixture is just too stiff to drip off a spoon. Remember to get the whole lot blended evenly before adding more water. If you do over do it with the water just add a bit more gram flour.
Heat oil in a wok.
Using 2 teaspoons scoop blobs of the mixture into the hot oil. Initially it sticks to the bottom so try and get 9 or 10 blobs in then give the wok a gentle shake and the pakoras will float to the surface. Continue cooking for about 5 mins. Don't rush them or the outside will be cooked and the inside still too doughy. This can also happen if the blobs are to big or the fat is too hot. Have a play and you'll soon get the right combination.
Ideally you should cook these just before eating as they don't keep too well and certainly not over night. 

Dipping Sauce:
250 ml natural yoghurt
salt to taste
1 level teaspoon chilli powder
1 level teaspoon mint sauce
7 tablespoons tomato ketchup

At Last!!!!! A Pakora recipe that the wife says is just like home and praised it no end. (With her being a Glasgow girl that is praise from Ceaser indeed!) and the dipping sauce was brilliant.

Thanks a lot!

Griff191

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 05:48 PM »

Thanks for the recipe C.K. looks just the biz and can't wait to try it. Paul

Offline zzikester

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 09:24 AM »
Pakora Dipping Sauce..

Being from Glasgow it is quite noticeable the difference in curry tastes around the UK, but that is for another post.

With regards to pakora dipping sauce and in particular the red ones with onion and tomato ketchup.  I always found that the sauces i made with rather bitter and not as tasty as the local BIR, however a friend of mine was working as a delivery driver and told me the secret to getting the sauce sweet and smooth....BOILED ONIONS...
Trust me boiled onions with the usual ingreients ketchup, mint sauce, chilli etc, blitzed..result= bring on the pakora....  Give it a try you wont be disappointed.

Now all I need is a recipe for that good old Scottish favouraite   Chicken Pakora.....

Offline davidandbess

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 04:33 AM »
Well can I just tell you I have just made the Pakora and it was fcukin delightful (excuse my french), I have been tasting the delights of Indian cuisine for the last 20 years and this is the best pakora I have ever had that resembles BIR, I know it's only the starter but hey you gotta start somewhere, incidentally I used the sauce from the Jeera without the sugar and I liquidised everything,as they say here in America it was awesome  ;D
Now back to finishing of my base sauce courtesy of Jasper.

Regards D/B

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 08:48 AM »
Hi Zzikester,

I am also a Glaswegian who loves our city's Birs but also this amazing site. Thanks for the tip with the Pakora Sauce,I will be on it tommorrow night.

I wondered if you had any twists on the pakora recipe itself to perfectly duplicate what we find in Glasgow?

Cheers Panpot

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 05:45 PM »
This is my favourite Veg Pakora Recipe and also definately one of the top 5 BIR replicas I've tried on this site (any dish). To get the 'glasgow' effect, I use 2 onions finely chopped and a large potatoe grated. I omit the mushrooms and cauliflower, but I follow the rest as is.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 07:33 AM »
Thanks Jeera,I'm on the case

©2024 Curry Recipes