Author Topic: Paratha's at home  (Read 2120 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Paratha's at home
« on: December 16, 2005, 04:34 PM »
Hi Folks,

Here is a recipe for Parathas from Mridula Baljekars "Complete Indian Cookbook".

325 gms / 12 ozs Chapatti? Flour ( Atta ) plus a little for dusting
1/2 tsp Salt
125 gms / 5 ozs Softened Ghee or Unsalted Butter
125-150 mls / 4-5 fl ozs Warm Water

Method

Makes Four

Sift Flour and Salt together
Rub in 50 gms / 2 ozs Ghee / Butter into flour and mix thoroughly
Gradually add Water and knead to a soft, pliable dough
Divide into 4 equal balls and flatten them between the palms of your hands
Dust each portion and roll out to 8" diameter
Spread on top with 1 tsp Ghee / Butter
Roll up the dough into a tube shape then roll this tube into a coil shape
Roll out again into an 8" disc

Spread on top again with 1 tsp Ghee / Butter
Roll into a tube and coil again, dust with flour and roll into an 8" disc

Heat a Tava or Frying Pan on medium heat
Dry Fry for about 30 seconds then flip over and brush with Softened Ghee / Butter
After a further 30 secs flip and spread 1 TBSP of Ghee / Butter on the top side and flip again
Turn heat down
Press down with a spatula and spread a further 1 TBSP Ghee / Butter on this side
After a minute flip again and repeat the pressing action
Cook for a further minute
Continue to cook and flip over frequently until both sides are uniformly light brown

Ray

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Paratha's at home
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 08:18 PM »
I have tried this method of making a tube and coiling it again and again..and i havent had good results...the dough has to be very soft and pliable and the technique is hard.
My method is using atta, water and bit of salt.  Thre is no need for oil/ghee but i usually add a few drops while kneading the dough.  basically, when you have the dough, make largish balls - golf ball sized maybe.  roll out into a 4-5 inch circle with the help of flour to dust it with.  Then smear a little bit of ghee all over the circle.  Make a cut from the center to the edge of the circle.  Pick up the cut edge and roll it all the way around so you have a cone that stands up at the end.  It is hard to describe really!  It doesnt roll perfectly so thats ok, preferred maybe!!  Then with the cone standing up, push it down with the palm of your hand into a small circle.  You will see a spiral  in the dough.  Then dust with flour and roll out as thin as possible.  Almost as thin as for rotis!!  Place of tawa, flip after few seconds and apply little ghee on it, flip and apply ghee to original side.  Press down with spatula to cook.  you should see it puff up and the layers separate out due to the ghee being applied "between" the layers.

The recipe from Baljekar's cookbok uses a ton if butter!!!  If anyone gives my method a try, let me know if it works for you.  These are very light as opposed to the thickish, heavy paranthas but taste very different from rotis!

Payal

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Paratha's at home
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 09:00 PM »
Thanks Payal,

That's some sound advice. I will give this a go next time round.

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes