Author Topic: Brit in Oz Craves Curry  (Read 4736 times)

Offline garypburke

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Brit in Oz Craves Curry
« on: December 18, 2005, 01:19 AM »
Hi all!

Just a breath of fresh air (more like garlic actually) to find a taste of home on my new Australian doorstep!

I have longed for 3 years for a Chicken Dansak from the Golden Currey House from my old stomping ground
back in London. The Australian taste is much more delicate than the Brits, The typical Ozy days starts every morning
with a run followed by a breakfast consisting of something my nan would plant in the garden (seeds!).
Lunch, is usually something raw covered in rice and seaweed, (followed by another run), finally dinner, which
 nine times out of ten is grilled or boiled then smothered in tomato sauce or vegemite*.

*VEGEMITE - Brown sticky stuff made from sheep's droppings.

So as you can see I miss my bloody curry. The Aus curry houses are very different from those back home, the
food is either very sweet or very bland, yet Ozy's have some of the best fresh produce in the world and also have
fantastic spices at hand.

Ok i'll stop moaning and finish up with a huge thank you for bringing together a fantastic database of the best
of curries that hopefully I will be able to replicate here in Oz in my own home.

thanks again

Gary (aka Bruce)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Brit in Oz Craves Curry
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 07:42 AM »
Hi garypburke,

I am currently in Sydney and about to go for a curry tonight.  The last one i had up in Bundaberg in Queensland was the worst curry i have ever had,  basically hot water with a bit of turmeric in and chicken thighs boiled to death...yuk....I'm from the UK but on a year out travelling.
I miss my curries so much and am thinking of trying to get a frozen one sent out to OZ, i fear i am dreaming.

My next stop is NZ where i hope to rent an apartment so i can get back to cooking some of the great recipes off here as i did back home.

Welcome aboard our website
Stew 8)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 08:57 AM »
Mornin Bruce !!
Try this   http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=465.0
You will not be disappointed mate, it looks complicated but the first stage is just chop all the ingredients, put together in one large Pot or two average Pots/Pans then cook for a while.
Second stage is very quick.

DARTH "Bruce...The Bruce in charge of the Sheep dip" PHALL..... ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 11:06 AM »
Try this   http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=465.0
You will not be disappointed mate, it looks complicated but the first stage is just chop all the ingredients, put together in one large Pot or two average Pots/Pans then cook for a while. Second stage is very quick.

Darth

I've been meaning to try your above recipe for ages but I'm never sure I'll have taken into account all the changes and modifications (even if I read them correctly) over the long course of that thread, let alone comments on the same recipe which may have been made in other threads.. Would it be possible to update the Vindaloo recipe to the latest version, please, and create another clear, separate, modified recipe for the Madras variant? I'm so grateful to you for writing up the recipe(s) but I need to be confident I'm reading them right, before investing in all the ingredients.

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 12:03 PM »
Yes George i will.
I will start a new thread with just recipes & methods.
The base incidentally is always the same & you will be glad to hear it is surprisingly simple, its just that there are a lot of different ingredients but the method is straightforward.
I will hopefully do this today.

Yours DARTHPHALL.... ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Yes George i will. I will start a new thread with just recipes & methods. The base incidentally is always the same & you will be glad to hear it is surprisingly simple, its just that there are a lot of different ingredients but the method is straightforward. I will hopefully do this today.

Many thanks but absolutely no hurry, even if it's not until after Xmas, if you have more urgent things to do. You are so enthusiastic about those recipes that I really must try them. The Maharaja restaurant you compare them with looks very good as well, so it all sounds very encouraging.

Regards
George
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 10:42 PM by George »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 03:31 PM »
Thank you George no problems, i will however post very soon. ;)
DARTH.....

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 06:57 PM »
Hi Darth and George,
This is just what i've been meaning to ask, i realy fancy trying the recipes too but felt confused because you mention bags rather than liters.
Darth any chance of some photos of your curries?

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 07:00 PM »
Check my recent revised Vindalloo, its got someones Else's excellent attempt at my recipe & it looks just like mine (thanks Pete  ;)).
John the bags are approximately half a liter.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 08:07 PM »
Here are the links to all you need.Bruce !!

Vindalloo............http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=673.0

Madras...............http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=674.0

There is also info on cooking the Chicken & Rice. ;)
Hope this is of help to you Bruce.

©2024 Curry Recipes