Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 211425 times)

Offline tomek

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2007, 03:31 PM »
taking the plunge...

hey guys, i'm living in poland right now but from Canada.  As curry is virtually unheard of where I'm living, i've taken it upon myself to create my own.

i've been using the recipes off of http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/ and was very pleased with the results.  most of these are very simple and don't require making a base, just adding some passata.  other teachers who i work with, mostly English, told me the curries where great.

however, this past week i was in london and stopped by Notting Hill Tandoori and was blown away by the Madras.  i'm not sure how to describe the difference, but it was just 'fresher', more complex than my curries.

i want to take the next step, and produce such a curry.  is this base what will make the difference?  is this what will give it that extra punch that my curries are lacking?

and importantly, do i really need to make it in such large quantities.  has anyone had any luck reducing say by half the ingredients?

thanks!

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2007, 03:45 PM »
Hi Tomek,

It may well get you closer and will be better than what you have made before but I doubt it will match what you had in London.  I've not been to that paticular restaurant but there are many base and madras recipes it would be a bit of luck if darths just happened to be the one they use!

If your wanting something on a smaller scale try looking through the base sauce group on here there are quite a few that are smaller.  We have a thread running at the moment on wether recipes can be scaled down without any loss, the jurys still out on that one  :)

Good luck and please report back on how it goes!

cK

Offline tomek

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2007, 04:59 PM »
Yeah, I don't expect that it will be exactly the same as in the restaurant, although I will do a few things that the restaurant curry had, mainly chunks of a peeled tomato and some thin slices of green pepper in the sauce.

What I do hope, is that the base sauce will have more life to it than just the passata I've been using from Curry House.

I have to wait a while though, because the only ingredient I see that I'm missing is Fenugreek Leaves.   All I've found here in Poland are the ground seeds, which I assume is not a suitable substitute.  Hopefully a friend in london can post me some, as well as some good curry powder.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2007, 07:48 PM »
Why don't you order some of the internet, we have a members discount code with natco or try simply spice?

You do realise you have started down that path of curry discovery, there is no return  :o

cK

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2007, 10:34 AM »
If you need to know anything about my base Tomek, feel free to ask.
Hope it gives you the results you are looking for.
But remember CK is right there are small variations in method/ingredients across the UK, although I'm positive you will be pleased with the results.
Cyaaa  :)

Offline Argey Bhaji

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2007, 02:34 PM »
I have just made this base as the first recipe I have used from this site.

The results look like they have been described (golden yellow) and I am pleased with the result.

Taken on a phone so true colour not reflected

I scaled it down to 1/3 of original recipe as I am the only person who eats curry in my house.

I will be making a Madras later with it and will come back with the results.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 05:15 PM by Argey Bhaji »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2007, 04:13 PM »
It looks right  ;), a nice golden yellow, it should have a pleasant taste, nearly good enough too eat on its own but is obviously much better when used as intended.As a base Gravy, hope the final dish give you good results, i look forward to you opinions on it & suggestions etc..etc..
Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 05:05 PM by DARTHPHALL »

Offline Argey Bhaji

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2007, 08:16 PM »
Right, first attempt at a BIR curry ever!

I also made Pilau rice but I went a little overboard on the food colouring! ;D

The texture of curry is excellent and the taste is wonderful. I am very happy for a first attempt.

I have posted a couple of phone taken pictures for you to view.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2007, 09:19 PM »
Looks very Yellow.
 What recipe did you add to the base recipe as it looks very bright?
Or is this the colour reproduction from your Camera?.
 :)

Offline Argey Bhaji

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2007, 10:17 PM »
I think it's flash on camera, it is a darker brown coulor.

The picture below is a little better but not perfect.

©2024 Curry Recipes