Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 211222 times)

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Hi, just a couple of questions before I attempt this...

In stage three, 1 dessertspoon of corriander is listed, I take it this is ground corriander seed?

I am also 99% sure that you're peeling the cloves of garlic in stage three before you grate them, but thought I'd mention it because it doesn't specifically say so.

Also, what sort of size of pot is required to take the whole curry base in a oner?

And finally, the two large ladles of water from the cooked chicken..err..sorry, I don't know if I have a large ladle, what sort of volume would that be?  :-)

Thanks in advance, looking forward to giving it a whirl! Only been making curries for a few months, starting with a Pat Chapman book then The Curry Secret and found this forum last week sort of by chance.

Richard.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2007, 10:02 PM »
Hi Richard,  ;) I have done this and can recommend it. I used ground coriander, peeled the garlic (not too happy about grating them tho, Think I lost a bit of finger during this stage).I used a 4 litre pot which was plenty big enough for the job. I have a standard ladle that comes with a set, I think this stage is trial and error, adding it till you get the consistency required. I cooked a batch a few weeks ago and froze them. I had one tonight and it was........perfect..

By the way, welcome to the best site on the web................ ;D ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2007, 05:18 AM »
Hi Richard,

Welcome to cr0  :)

I think the following is intended, but perhaps Darth would be good enough to confirm and update his recipe accordingly?

• yes, use ground coriander
  • yes, peel the garlic before grating it.  Personally, I'd either chop it finely or simply blend it in a mini-blender
  • "ladle" sizes seem to vary from 40ml to 362ml depending on who you talk to!  As Mike says, your best bet is to add a little (say 40ml) at a time until you get a desired consistency (I expect you'd be looking at something like 100ml to 200ml in total)

Hope this helps a little  8)

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:21 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2007, 08:47 AM »
Hi.
Sorry I'm so late in replying.
Cory Ander is correct in all the points mentioned.
The ladle i use is fairly small & holds 3-4 TableSpoons of Liquid, so that would translate to 6-8 TableSpoons, it isn't that critical, so i wouldn't worry to much about it.
Some BIR's don't Peel their Garlic but i do recommend you do.
And yes plain old Ground Coriander will do the Job adequately.
Cheers for now peeps. :)

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2007, 10:54 PM »
Hi Darth  ;) Just spent an enjoyable afternoon cooking a big pot of your base and Chicken Madras. For years now I have been trying to cook my favorite Indian Curry, the Madras. Now thanks to you my friend the quest is over and its time to try some more wonderful recipes on this great site.

This truly is a curry from the dark side.

Thanks for all your hard work and continued support.

Forever grateful.................mike..  ;D ;D

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2007, 01:29 PM »
Hi again!

Made a 1/3 scaled down portion of the curry base last night. At the stage where you've liquidised the ingredients, and then put it back on the heat for ten minutes, you get a sort of froth rising to the top (well, I did anyway). I skimmed this off the top, as this is the way I'd done it when making the base from The Curry Secret book. Just wondering if this sounds right, or maybe I only got the froth from scaling down ingredients (I wasn't that scientific about proportions, just a rough ball park), or something else I was doing? Looks good anyway, albeit darker than when doing it 100% as per Darth's recipe.

Will be using the base tonight to make a chicken madras for myself, and a vegetable curry for my girlfriend.

Cheers,

Richard.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2007, 07:04 PM »
HI Richard,

I tend to get a cartain amount of froth whichever base recipe I use, I think it has more to do with how high you heat it after blending.  Like you I used to scrape it of but now don't bother as I found it makes no difference to the final sauce.

cK

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Making your curry base today Darth, I ll let you know how I get on.

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2007, 08:08 PM »
Have made your curry now Darth, it looks and smells good.  Can't wait to convert it to a Madras.

I'll let you know how it goes!

t

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2007, 02:43 PM »
Have now made Darths Madras, tastes nice but has a chinise curry flavour about it.

©2024 Curry Recipes