Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 209595 times)

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2007, 07:27 PM »
My daughter has eaten Darths curry and likes it, she will only ever eat BIR, and a chicken tikka recipe I posted on here! 

Here is the link, http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1823.0

It maybe simple but it is an effective curry and genuine BIR style.

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2007, 08:03 PM »
Well, I have just tried this recipie over the weekend, and I had disasterous results first time round, probably because I was too drunk, and I started off by burning everything (I let the oil get too hot).  Sooo, Saturday was wasted, as well as me, so I binned the mess and started again Sunday.  Whoopie, this time round I was not so drunk, so all went really well.  Really simple to follow, the only thing that I was a little unsure of was how much oil to start with (I assumed it was all of it) and then how long to cook the spices for before adding the rest of the stuff (I again assumed it would be just a few minutes).  It turned out really well, except that I had missed off an ingrediant for stage three, so that was the end of Sunday.  Monday I went to the shop and ensured that I had everything that I needed this time, so Monday night was to be curry night!  I had no problems with the next two stages, and I must admit that I was well impressed with the end result.  It was pretty much the perfect curry!  Whereas I like my curry hotter than hot, I am a phall or vindaloo man usually, I do also like milder curries every so often, and also figured that many people would be trying my newly found recipe, so I omitted the chilli powder from the base, but the result is still a really nice flavourful curry that tastes every bit as great as it should do.  I think that my local takeaway will miss me.

Here are some pics:

This was the start of the base, as also shown below.

That was the base when it was nearly finished, just before I blended the whole lot.

That was the base after I blended it.  I followed the recipe pretty exact, so you can see just how much it makes (enough for me and maybe one other).

That was the onions being goldenified before being added to the base in the other pot.

Nearly finnished article.

My final finnished yield, pictured ready to eat, also boxed up ready for the next day and also for freezing.  Also pictured is my favourite side dish in the green can.

I figured that as I had never attempted this before, I would take pictures as I went along just in case I went wrong, that way I could look back and someone may say that I overcood this, or undercooked that, or that so and so was too large, or thingamy was too small etc.  Fortunately after the first disaster, everything was great, and the end result was much better than I was expecting.

Thanks Darth for making me even fatter.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Wow !  :o Those pictures are amazing Spencerman. I have done Darth`s base and Madras and I must say it didn't look as colourful as yours. It tasted nice though. I bet that tasted the business. Nice one chap....

;D ;D

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Do you know that is the first time that someone has said wow to one of my pictures.  On other forums that I frequent I am notorious for taking really crap pictures, and they are pretty awful, but the curry does indeed taste great.  I am going to have more tonight now (That was not my intention, but what the hell).  Maybe it was that I was inspired, or maybe you shouldnt see my outtakes!  ;D

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2007, 09:19 PM »
The end result looks just right, mine seemed to be a little watery, so perhaps I made a slight error in a quantity somewhere. I found if you freeze it and then have it at a later date it tastes even better. I will have another stab at it soon but I am trying to work my way around some of the other splendid recipes on this site.

Keep up the good work... ;D

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2007, 09:07 AM »
Pictures look great thanks for sharing  8)

cK

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2007, 02:26 PM »
Welcome to the site Spencerman,

That picy looks the most accurate and closest to the real deal i have seen in ages.
Perhaps its time to try this curry sauce again.

I really admire the darkness you got in the sauce, did you follow the recipe to the letter or change some bits?

Ive made good looking currys before but that consistency & colour look spot on.
I hope it tasted as good as it looks

Stew

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2007, 08:03 PM »
I has tasted every bit as good as it looks for the last three nights!  ;D  I practically followed the instructions to a tee, except that I left out the chilli powder in the base, for future use in case I want to make a milder dish.  I ebbed on the side of caution with the oil, if it said 600 - 700 ml, then I went for 600.  I took my time to make sure that I peeled each clove on the garlic and grated and chopped everything nice and fine.  If I was to rate it out of 10, then this is the first time that I can say hand on heart, I would give it a 10.   My only critism if any is that I like my curries a little bit hotter, but then as I mentioned I left the chilli powder out of the base on purpose, so that is no reflection on the dish itself, merely an observasion that next time I shall probably add that.  It was full of flavour and has gone down a real treat with me, so much so that I dont want to share any now as I want it all for myself!  I also think that the base looked great on its own, a nice chunky veggie stew, until it was all blended up anyway!

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2007, 09:39 PM »
Hi Spencerman,  ;) I will certainly be using your pictures as a reference when I cook this base again, you have it spot on. well done...

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2007, 04:13 PM »
Hi Spencerman,  ;) Inspired by your photo`s of Darth`s Base/Madras I am going to give it another try, so be prepaired to be bombarded with questions. One question I have now is, what size onions did you use? Or better still how much did they weigh? I think this is where I may have gone wrong. I had used large onions that may have helped make the base a bit thinner than Darth`s/your`s. So if you happen to have any onions of the size you used could you weigh one so I can work out how many I need to get  ;D .

I think it would be a good idea to put weights and measures down instead of just saying small/medium/large IMHO.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes