Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 210632 times)

Offline rickking

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2007, 05:29 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the supermarket. Not sure if they sell it in Canada, but i'll look in the italian sauce section. Might they go with a different name or will it say "passata" on the bottle?

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Knowing Canadians, it will probably be called something like, crushed tomatoes, or similar.  I know that dolmio make one and they call it crushed tomatoes rustica, but it is just basically tomatoes and nothing else.

Offline tomek

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2007, 07:30 PM »
rick, its called tomato puree in canada and the states.  dont go buying any italian sauces or anything!  just tomato puree

Offline Wish

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2007, 09:47 PM »
Hi all the bitter taste sometimes found in currys ive found to be tom puree.if you add the puree and fry this it seems to give a bitter taste maybe burns it.

Offline nipper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Tried this today and made a fairly large batch. Put together a very pleasing BIR standard Chicken Rogan and a Jalfrezi from it. A good simple recipe and works well for others than Madras.  Spent a lot of time probably cutting onion etc too small pieces, but result was excellent.

Offline Sirhc

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2007, 07:52 PM »
I'm sitting here eating this right now :o...

I should have taken pictures along the way, but apparently my family are enjoying it too.

Tastes... amazing. Made it nice and firey.

I'll definitely be doing it again and will take pictures next time ;D.

Offline DeeSpicer

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2007, 02:46 PM »
Hi all, This is lovely, its an improvement over the Kris Dhillon's base which i have been using for a few years now. One of the tips i got from a BIR chef was not to use
italian canned tomatoes like napolina as these are a little to rich for curries this can ruin the flavour, can even make it bitter.What you want is the cheap tomatoes like tesco value or the supermarkets own. You will notice a change in the colour
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 02:50 PM by DeeSpicer »

Offline dpd1973

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2007, 10:19 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding the original recipe. In stage 3 - 'making the madras' when you say "Add all spices & chicken & Chicken water from above post" - should the spices be fried with the garlic first or added straight in with the base sauce in their raw form?

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2007, 10:57 PM »
Hi dpd1973,  ;) I think they get added straight to the base in raw form. Welcome to the forum by the way, look forward to your input..... ;D

Offline xxxxChrisxxxx

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 21, 2007, 12:54 PM »
I'm wanting to make this base sauce today, but am wondering how much garlic / ginger should go into the home made pur?e?

©2024 Curry Recipes