Author Topic: Stupid question # 312  (Read 5429 times)

Offline DeeDee

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Stupid question # 312
« on: December 19, 2005, 02:21 PM »
So it's only NOW that I'm wondering if the UK/US cups and measures conversions matter in recipes.  I've just been using US measures?!?!!?

Also, apologies for being away ... life got busy!  And yes, I did had another big bash but there aren't any photos because the camera memory got wiped!

DeeDee

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid question # 312
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 02:31 PM »
DeeDee

My understanding is that USA and other cup measures are different. I would encourage anyone posting any recipes to state 'assumptions' like cup type and whether spoon-measures are level (not that cups are often used as a measure in the UK). And to give onions and other vegetables in grams, since the size of vegetables can vary so much.

Regards
George

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 09:07 PM »
So it's only NOW that I'm wondering if the UK/US cups and measures conversions matter in recipes.?DeeDee

Hi DD,

I think you can take it as read virtually all the recipes on this site are in U.K. measures and you need to do a little conversion to your U.S. equivalent.

Teaspoons and Tablespoons seem to be about the same US or UK. But is that heaped, flat or what?? How much is a Ladle Full??

My understanding is a UK Cup is 8 fl ozs about 230 mls and a ladle is 125 mls. A Tablespoon is 15 mls a Dessertspoon 10 mls and a Teaspoon is 5 mls.
I do feel measurements of liquid can have a greater latitude in most recipes as too much or too little can be readily adjusted but spices are a different matter. A tablespoon of coarse Methi Leaves is a lot different to a tablespoon of fine Methi leaves if you see what I mean.

But I agree with George everyone posting on the site should try to make it simple and state things in Mls, Grams, Ozs etc and not Cups or Spoons as these are a bit innacurate to say the least.

Perhaps we should agree what measurements we need to use as a group to avoid any possible future confusion. I would be happy to accept Litres and Mls as more accurate for our purposes as this will convert down to small amounts such as spoons and teaspoons accurately.

Ray

P.S. Which "Donut" erased your camera memory?? Punishable by death I think!!

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 10:30 PM »
As this is primarily a British forum, shouldn't we standardise on grams, centimetres and millilitres?? We have been metric for over 30 years after all!

If we must mix measures, for example by using ounces, can I also request that when prices of goods are mentioned that they are also given in pounds, shillings and pence (to the nearest florin) and that weights are also provided in noggins, pecks and bushels.

I'm going to go for a nice long walk around the town now to cool down, It's only about 30 furlongs.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 10:56 PM »
Does that mean I cant have a pint of Cobra!   8)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 11:55 PM »
Don't be ssssssssssssilly.

And no you can't have a pint, you can have a 330ml bottle like the rest of us.? ?;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 02:01 AM »
If we must mix measures, for example by using ounces, can I also request that when prices of goods are mentioned that they are also given in pounds, shillings and pence (to the nearest florin) and that weights are also provided in noggins, pecks and bushels.

I agree - for anyone seeking to be cool, to avoid being seen as taking things too seriously or carefully and to have a bit of a laugh. But if the object is to communicate recipes which work, then there's plenty of room for improvement.

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 08:46 AM »
AAA my head is starting to Acre with all this.
If you think your gonna have a pint of me  ...think again pal !!! sssssssss !!!
Oh & by the way I'm 1 Fathom long & can spit my Venom for 216 Barleycorns !!!

Offline DeeDee

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 01:59 PM »
Cheers all,

I'll be sure to convert (come over to the cooked-on-high-heat-until-dark side) all my measures from now on ....

DeeDee

PS.  Hopefully my base sauce will work better because of it ... it's been a little off base the last couple of times.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 06:27 PM »
This thread brings up a good point. Questions like, "which measures do we use?", "how big is an onion?", "what's the best base to use?" etc, will continue to be repeated because the forum has no FAQ.

In a few months' time threads like this will be lost in the mass of other posts, and if you hadn't actually read it at the time it was posted, for example you may have only just found the forum, you could be forgiven for asking obvious questions that the regulars have seen repeated over and over again.

There should be a FAQ on the home page. And before anyone suggests it, no I am not volunteering.

©2024 Curry Recipes