Author Topic: Stupid question # 312  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid question # 312
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 06:38 PM »
I don't mind putting one togther, maybe if we start a new thread just for stuff that should, or should not be in it?? When its done we can sticky it so any new members can be pointed towards it as a read first.?

I should just add that if anyone else wants to do it or help then feel free to throw your name into the hat  ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 06:42 PM by Curry King »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 10:58 PM »
YF. CK

If I understand you correctly you're suggesting that readers (recipe users mainly) get up to speed by reading some FAQs. Fair enough but my main concern is the other way around - i.e. that too many recipes do not conform to generally accepted recipe book standards of measurement. Even before a FAQ section may be set up, I suggest the forum is crying out for some 'standards' on how recipes are specified and written-up.

Madhur Jaffrey or Delia Smith are good examples. Their books conform to generally accepted principles like level spoon measures and the suggested size of an egg for use in their recipes. Next, the recipes have been proof-read so they look complete. I know beggars can't be choosers. It's very good of anyone posting a recipe to take the time. Positive feedback should increase as confidence goes up in the recipes.

Regards
George
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 11:47 PM by George »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 05:35 AM »
Thats My recipes lost in the forum then,they don't conform & neither do i  ;D.
Seasons Greetings to all . :D
.....DARTHPHALL.....

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 09:59 AM »
I don't belive that BIR style cooking can conform to set standards,? i've spoken to a few chefs and not one of them know's exact teaspoon measurements , its always a spoon of that or a bit of that until it looks right.? I don't measure anything spot on anymore and I don't think my currys have suffered in the slightest.? Im not saying completely dissregard measurements alltogether but a teaspoon is a teaspoon a heaped teaspoon is a heaped teaspoon its not going to make that much difference if it's slightly out either way, IMHO.?

If a recipe has come from a geniune chef the chances of it being exactly measured out are pretty much zero so by forcing the poster to best guess at what the measurements are just to fit the recipe section standards I think would be losing the jist of the orignal recipe.? If someone posts a receipe thats a bit vague then either confirm with the OP assuming the OP wrote it.  I quite often re-write a good sounding recipe and best guess the measurements either that or just don't use it.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 10:07 AM by Curry King »

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 08:49 PM »
I don't believe that BIR style cooking can conform to set standards,? i've spoken to a few chefs and not one of them know's exact teaspoon measurements , its always a spoon of that or a bit of that until it looks right.

Yes but is it the Queens teaspoon or the Incredible Hulks teaspoon??

But jokes aside, I quite agree CK.
When you watch restaurant chefs make a curry they either use the tip of a large serving spoon or just pick up a spice between their fingers and bung it in and so do asian women when they cook at home. In the end it just becomes a natural thing and experience tells them what is just right.

I have usually found major variations in amounts does not alter tastes too dramatically but for the benefit of those on the site struggling to get a good result and measuring everything with a set of atomic scales I do think we need to standardise our measurements so we all know what we are on about.

Ray

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 10:21 AM »
Yeah, I think by throwing caution to the wind a little more and just doing it without thinking so much can actually improve your currys.  I've made some mistakes and "over-done" a few things but you know for next time  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes